Sustitute for PC900V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Sharp PC900V series of isocouplers have been discontinued. I'm looking for a good replacement that will suitable for MIDI Input in a 3.3 volt environment.

I'm currently looking at a Liteon 6N137S chip. Here's a link to the datasheet. Would anyone be able to advise on whether this is a suitable chip. And if not, perhaps suggest an alternative.

http://optoelectronics.liteon.com/upload/download/DS70-2008-0035/S_110_6N137 20140411.pdf

I too had great problem finding any PC900 avaiable so resolved to buy some 6N137S...
I'll try them in the next days... and if you don't mind I'll report my results here.

I'm expecting that just for processing classic MIDI IN one could use it safely, maybe the problems will begin if used in a MIDI Thru / Merge situation where the optocoupler velocity become important...

I would be glad to have some opinion from Paul and other experts

Stefano

I guess many people use the 6n137 because it's half the price.

The 6N137S happens to be the cheapest because Lite-On does not make an H11L1 (price comparison on DigiKey). Both the H11L1 and 6N137 will work just fine.

But when you intend to produce many devices, you want the chips shipped on tape, and then the difference vanishes.
And when you're using SMD, you're likely to want to use a smaller package, and then you end up with the TLP2361 anyway: SO-5 price comparison on DigiKey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back