Potentially Counterfeit Teensy 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothyha

Hello, I purchased a Teensy 2.0 from eBay recently, and I have a feeling that it may not be a genuine Teensy. The PCB layout is slightly different, the button appears different visually, the USB jack does not include FCI engraving as depicted on the image on the PJRC website, and the LED is blue. However, it can be programmed without an issue using the Teensy Loader appplication.

a.jpg
The received board.

What should I do?

If it were me, I would report it to EBay and tell them that there is a counterfeit seller and give them a link.

There are several threads up here about different ones of these. And I believe I have heard that if you report it quick enough, you can possibly get your money back.

I would then purchase a real teensy 2 from PJRC or one of their approved resellers.

The blue LED is a very good sign of a counterfeit (should be orange from memory). Interesting that it does work with the bootloader since the most recent batch of counterfeits didn't work at all.

Do watch memory since some of them use a different and less efficient bootloader that occupies more space on board which may be exciting when the compiler spits out code assuming it's going into a regulation teensy.

And yes firing a report to ebay since they are pretty aggressive at pursuing such things.

Looks like a fake. What should you do, depends of if the seller is an individual or a company, and how much you paid for that.

If it's a company, you should demand full refund and possibly report to eBay. And if they're selling multiple "teensies", even more so.

If it was an individual and doesn't sell any more "teensies", I would just inform him/her it is a fake. The rest depending on the price. I wouldn't want to pay full price for a fake Teensy :)

I have been browsing Aliexpress a lot lately. There is also multiple "Teensies" at sale, many of them even labeled "Genuine PJRC Teensy". As far as I can tell, all counterfeit! (Aliexpress is a Chinese marketing place, similar to eBay.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back