Large LED Strip Display Screen Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

codereq

I’m building an LED strip display and would really appreciate a sanity check. This is my first big project, so I’m happy to take any advice. My primary use will be video playback from a laptop. My other goals are ease of transport and setup.

My biggest concern is wiring because I have very little experience. This Make project (recreated by another PJRC user) successfully implemented some ideas I liked. The power wiring diagram seems simple and straightforward, as does the data wiring. Unlike the Make version, for power I would use 18-20 gauge wire, not CAT5, so the wiring diagram would change a little (all power and ground connections go directly to the PSU; no forking due to twisted pair cabling). I have reviewed several other threads on this forum regarding how difficult powering LED strip displays can be, so if it seems crazy to only power every other strip, I'm willing to change it.

I would still like to use connectors (2 Pin JST SM, or alternative) for power and data, for easier removal of strips from their housing if necessary. Would this introduce too much complexity to the project?

Additional Details

LEDs
  • WS2813 (36 strips at 2m each, 30 LEDs/m; 2160 total)
  • Willing to pay a little extra for the improved build of the 2813 over 2812B
  • Prefer the lower “resolution” of 30 LEDs/m over 60 LEDs/m.
Board
  • Teensy 3.6 and OctoWS2811 Adaptor
  • The OctoWS2811 library is fine with Teensy 3.6, though if I decide to try out the FastLED library, I might have some issues.
Library
  • OctoWS2811 (customized by Make author for 36 strips)
Power
  • 5V / 50A power supplies (3)
  • Possibly mounted to aluminum
Housing / Framing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back