teensy and running of a lipo battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might help to know which Teensy?

My guess is if you are using a Teensy 2.x then yes you probably need to make that conversion as have the IO pins of the Teensy output 3.3v.

If you are using a Teensy 3.x or LC, they already output 3.3v on their IO pins and do not have that type of conversion.

hello,

do i need to follow https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/3volt.html if i want to power teensy off a lipo battery (3.7v nominal) or all i need is to make sure it's running at 8mhz? all sensors connected to teensy is 3v only.

thank you, jose
That article is for the older Teensy 2.0 and 2.0++.

If you are using the modern Teensies: LC, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, or 3.6 you can connect the Vin and Ground wires directly to the Teensy. If you connect it directly, just make sure you don't connect the USB cable at the same time. If you do want to be able to connect the USB cable without unplugging the lipo battery, you need to cut the VIN/VUSB trace underneath the Teensy:

If you cut the trace, then the USB power is not connected to the Teensy. You can leave it as is and program the Teensy with the lipo battery attached. Or attach 2 diodes, one between VUSB and VIN and the other between your lipo battery + wire and VIN (the diodes prevent power from flowing backward to the other power supply if both are used).

If you want to include a lipo charger to your Teensy, the best is Onehorse's version made for the Teensy, there are two variants of the charger:

And alternative might be Adafruit's Pro Trinket Backpack:

thank you both. i have teensy 3.0 so just need to get the female jst connector and i am good to go! however there's another thing that concerns me.. i have read many times on the web that continued use of lipo battery below 3.0v permanently damages it. according to the chart at https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html teensy will continue to run up until approx. 2.7v in 8mhz speed mode. does this mean i should build a voltage divider between vin, gnd and analog pin to be able to periodically monitor the remaining battery capacity?

to be honest it's a bit of a surprise for me to see that the voltage regulator - which i believe is right after the vin pin does not cut-off the power just before the input reaches 3v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back