Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Replace MKL26Z64 by MKL26Z128

Replace MKL26Z64 by MKL26Z128

Hello

I have a source code for Teensy LC, so for MKL26Z64, but I want do my own board and replace MKL26Z64 by MKL26Z128, to increase flash memory from 64K to 128K.

I understand that simply need modify boards.txt file to change size of flash and RAM memory. I open boards.txt and find these definitions for Flash and RAM memories:

teensyLC.upload.maximum_size=63488
    teensyLC.upload.maximum_data_size=8192

According with datasheet, MKL26Z64 has 64K flash, so 64*1024=65536. So why in boards.txt put 63488 instead of 65536, why lost 2K ??.

Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by LuisHS View Post
    why lost 2K ??.
    2K of Flash is used by the EEPROM emulation code.

Ok, thanks Paul.
    Then I must keep always 2K reserved, if I replace MKL26Z64 by MKL26Z128 ?, it's to modify properly Linker Script to use 128K microcontroller instead of 64K. I'm not sure if replace 63488 by 131072 or by 129024.

The MKL02 chip we sell (almost certainly) will not work with a MKL26Z128.

Yes, I understand, I do not want load firmware with the booloader, will load by SWD with Jlink.
    My doubt is if I must always to reserve 2K of flash, or do not need to do it if I do not need emulate a eeprom in flash.

Let me get this straight...
    1. Paul develops the teensy ecosystem in conjunction with Arduino.
    2. You are leveraging Pauls work to create a boards.txt derivative for your chip.
    3. Your approach avoids the need for the bootloader chip, hence depriving Paul of income for R&D that allowed 1) to happen.
    4. Yet, you are asking Paul to provide technical support.

Not impressed. I don't speak for Paul but I hope you now understand how potentially offensive your request for help is.

I see nothing wrong with this. Why reinvent the wheel?
    I too have ported Teensyduino internals to many other Freescale K-Series chips, although I have never asked for assistance.
    I also have contributed back to the products in various ways. Who knows, perhaps improvements or something new will come back from this.
    I know how to read the code, and I am very experienced, so I never had to.

I think Paul is rather awesome for helping out, and it shows his character, and why his business is such a success.
    The entire idea of free software and tools is exactly what is happening here.

I'm not against standing on the shoulders of giants - I do that every time I touch a computer! However, I wanted to impress on Luis that asking Paul how to subvert his income stream is likely a bridge too far. Paul is an awesome guy but I doubt he wants to spread the info far and wide on how to disintermediate him re: his income stream *and* use the libraries, glue with Arduino, etc. that he's developed.

I hope Luis contributes back like you have. Cheers and thanks.