Request: update CMSIS-DSP (arm_math.h)

Blackaddr

I was starting to write with the CMSIS-DSP stuff and noticed the library (ie. arm_math.h) is version 1.1.0 from Feb 2012.

This version is getting pretty old, I think the latest is 1.5.1 from Jan 2017.

I'm particularly interested because it appears new, faster versions of the floating point FFTs are now available with the old ones being deprecated.

"The main functions are arm_rfft_fast_f32() and arm_rfft_fast_init_f32(). The older functions arm_rfft_f32() and arm_rfft_init_f32() have been deprecated but are still documented."

http://www.keil.com/pack/doc/CMSIS/DSP/html/group__RealFFT.html

These 'fast' functions do not appear to be available in the older 1.1.0.

I was starting to write with the CMSIS-DSP stuff and noticed the library (ie. arm_math.h) is version 1.1.0 from Feb 2012.

This version is getting pretty old, I think the latest is 1.5.1 from Jan 2017.

I'm particularly interested because it appears new, faster versions of the floating point FFTs are now available with the old ones being deprecated.

"The main functions are arm_rfft_fast_f32() and arm_rfft_fast_init_f32(). The older functions arm_rfft_f32() and arm_rfft_init_f32() have been deprecated but are still documented."

http://www.keil.com/pack/doc/CMSIS/DSP/html/group__RealFFT.html

These 'fast' functions do not appear to be available in the older 1.1.0.

AFAIK,
the teensy arm_math.h and related arm files in cores/teensy3 are customized by Paul and consistent CMSIS_DSP stuff used in audio.
CMSIS developed code further, as you rightly noted, but modified the file structure/content making painless upgrade somewhat difficult.

My work around:
I use DSP code from CMSIS V5, created own local DSP library to overload cores/teensy3 files and I removed the CMSIS library provided by teensyduino
(note: CMSIS uses special compiler flag for fastest execution)
Alternatively,
there is another thread on this forum where instructions are given on how to modify cores/teensy3 to use updated DSP library.

Question about your modification

AFAIK,
the teensy arm_math.h and related arm files in cores/teensy3 are customized by Paul and consistent CMSIS_DSP stuff used in audio.
CMSIS developed code further, as you rightly noted, but modified the file structure/content making painless upgrade somewhat difficult.

My work around:
I use DSP code from CMSIS V5, created own local DSP library to overload cores/teensy3 files and I removed the CMSIS library provided by teensyduino
(note: CMSIS uses special compiler flag for fastest execution)
Alternatively,
there is another thread on this forum where instructions are given on how to modify cores/teensy3 to use updated DSP library.

Hello there. I would like to use the CMSIS Pack v5.3.0, which includes DSP Library v1.5.3

However, I'm not sure about the modifications I should do in order to make it work with Teensyduino. I already downloaded the CMSIS Pack and I would like to know where should I extract the files so that I can use these DSP functions, just as you do.

Thanks for your time and attention, hope you can read this and help me :)

Back