Minimum recommended pull up resistor value for I2C with a Teensy 3.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

I would link to the chip I want to talk to but I can't find an online datasheet for the ISD5116 chip. It dates back to 2000 and I only have a printout I managed to pull from a now dead link.

I have an awful waveform when check it with a scope. The leading edge of both clock and data pulses is fine of course (pull down) but with the chip I want to talk to installed the rise time is almost the clock period.

bad_I2C.jpg

Right now my pull ups are just the 2.2k ones on the PJRC audio adaptor. With the module I'm trying to talk to unplugged (just the audio board and Teensy) the signal is fine. The module has 10n caps on both SDA and SCL for noise suppression. The modules are removed from a circuit that used 10k pull ups so I was not expecting a problem but I think it's the cause of my intermittent response when running a scan program.
A datasheet I from TI seems to show the minimum for 3.3v would be about 1k, I don't think that would improve my signal nearly enough. http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva689/slva689.pdf
yyf
In my hardware the module plugs onto an adaptor pcb I made and the Teens and PJRC audio board plug onto it.
top.jpgside.jpg
Here is the signal in the original circuit (no audio adaptor, no homemade adaptor pcb) with the same module plugged back in using the 10k pull ups.
good_I2C.jpg

This also brings up another question. I do not get a response from the SGLT5000 chip on the audio adaptor. Can I safely assume that just because I have not initialized it using anything from the web audio tool? I wanted to get talking to the other chip working first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back