BLE suggestions on Custom Teensy Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good.
I use hardware CTS/RTS otherwise, I have to determine the worst case handling delay and then throttle down the baud rate in order to handle the worst case.

Richard

Just to be clear, this is essentially a teensy with an ntf52 on board that communicates with the teensy over serial? I'm assuming that's why there's 2 micro-USB connectors (one for teensy portion, one for nrf52)

Or is this meant to be connected to a teensy?

Either way, I'd be interested in them.

Would it be disrespectful to Paul if i start a separate thread about the board? It might be easier to have the details there, it may also help others find what they need since it's a bit of a niche board.

One usb connects to the teensy 3.2 setup, it also powers the nrf52 portion of the board, the second usb has no gnd or v_bus connections, this is by design to eliminate ground loops, and any issues with parallel power sources.

The second usb connects to the nrf52 via usb bridge. Alternatively with a change of a solder bridge, it can connect to the teensy hardware serial to allow a high baud rate 2 wire serial transmission with the teensy.

I am currently working with the nrf52 (and nrf51). I have purchased development systems (i.e., NRF52-DK) from Symmetry ($32.50).
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=61396

This provides an on-board Program/DebugSegger J-Link that can be used to develop with the nrf52 on board the DK as well as external nrf52 through a connector.

I will provide more info as I get farther along programming target systems.

You might ask Paul re the new topic.

Richard

I'll ask Paul,

In the meantime, do you two mind giving me a ball-park figure of how much you'd be prepared to pay for the board?

I've gone to town with smoothing caps etc, but the MCU, nrf52 and bootloader ic is about $25 alone, so i'm weary about taking this further if people are expecting this dirt cheap.

Cheers

Yeah, I think the pricing is in your favor as this is clearly not a teensy replacement. It's a specialized version. Are you buying the bootloaders from Paul? If you are, likelier to be OK.

I also own an nrf52 Developer's Kit. Without one of those, or some intimate knowledge of how to program the nrf52, there won't be a large market for these.

But I think it's a really cool way to either do a BLE project, or for learning how to work with the nrf52.

I should point out, i'm programming the nrf52's with the adafruit bootloaders, which are essentially a clone of nordics, the difference is you get a host of decent libraries and teensy/arduino like development environment. Also, because of the bootloader, there is no program size restrictions.

The nrf52 side is very similar to this

Let me know if that gives you a more positive feeling, if so i can go ahead and make a dedicated thread, and come up with some kind of pricing - i'm really looking to just get some credit to posh up my resume, so any pricing is to just cover the cost of the parts and labour.

Wow, adafruit has been busy. I see they have mynewtOS on the nrf52 feather. Any experience with that?

I think if you could be less than $50 that would be good.

Wow, adafruit has been busy. I see they have mynewtOS on the nrf52 feather. Any experience with that?

I think if you could be less than $50 that would be good.

I've not had a play with mynewt os, i don't yet know what i might use it for - though i can experiment with it sometime. I've got a 6 pin SH JST header pulled out to a little JTAG header adapter board so it'll be trivial to put on different bootloaders etc.

The bootloader i'm currently using is to be used with the arduino ide (freeRTOS based), programmed via serial. It makes using the board trivial. I didn't know you could program a bluetooth 5.0 stack on the chips i've got, that's pretty cool.

For me, the Teensy is $19 and the nrf52 breakout is about $5. Can you provide a list of "features" of the board, e.g., nrf52, haptic, ...

thanks,

Richard

(i might have just pm'd you by mistake).

I was saying, if you like to abstract that much then see it as a modified teensy 3.2 with additional filtering, and Adafruit Bluefruit nrf52, which is $35, i can list other features when I'm not afk.

Similarly I'd love to know where you can get those breakouts for 5 dollars. The modules I'm using are £11 minimum, without shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back