how warm the teensy 3.6 gets

Status
Not open for further replies.

huongtram

did anyone else notice how warm the 3.6 gets? at 180mhz the blink sketch it gets quite warm, dont have exact numbers as I dont have a ir thermo and I have to find my bead thermocouple

its quite warm though. not hot, but still.

Warm to touch for sure - I measured 95 degree F to under 105° on the hottest parts during or just after the beta. That was possibly at 240 MHz and doing a bit more than blink.

I'll run the lightpainting sketch for a while at different speeds and take a image of the board with my flir one thermal camera and post them for you guys

Note the teensy's have an internal ADC register that returns chip temperature. For T3.6 it's analogRead(70). you may need to calibrate to convert ADC output to degrees C.
Code:
  analogReference(INTERNAL);
  analogReadResolution(16);
  analogReadAveraging(32);

float c;
  int a;
  a = analogRead(70);   // k66 70
  c = -0.00825*a +351.15;   // calibrate to determine coefficients

Or library discussed at https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/43297-New-Internal-Temperature-Library

Note the teensy's have an internal ADC register that returns chip temperature. For T3.6 it's analogRead(70). you may need to calibrate to convert ADC output to degrees C.

Thanks @Manitou! Not sure I ever got temp code to read before on T_3.6. But this works for me - about 8°F high based on my IR Thermometer - so needs calibrated. Oddly it drops 6°F in ~4 secs if I pinch the MCU and board in fingers - which is closer to what I measure. Not sure if the sensor is on a hot spot and that contact normalizes the temp? <EDIT 2>: BTW - this is running at 240 MHz - my room temp up to 76 and peak was up to 110. [ Recompiling at 120 MHZ where HSRUN drops out it is looking like 99°F - and finger pinch heat sink drops under 96 - then only climbs toward 97 in code and IR reading is under 92 ]

<EDIT>:: Let it run a bit - just doing blink - my room temp is about 75°F - came back and it was showing 109 and touching it dropped to 103. My IR Temp shows 93-103°F across the chip. So the touched reduction measure internally matches the peak I see externally - if @firehopper gets an image hopefully it will agree with that showing the variance across the MCU.

Code:
void showTemp() {
  static bool once=0; // Could be done 'once' in setup() - or something like this perhaps
  if ( !once ) {
    once = true;
    analogReference(INTERNAL);
    analogReadResolution(16);
    analogReadAveraging(32);
  }
  float c;
  int a;
  a = analogRead(70);   // k66 70
  c = -0.00825*a +351.15;   // calibrate to determine coefficients
  Serial.print(" Temp [av=");
  Serial.print(a);
  Serial.print("] >> °C=");
  Serial.print(c);
  Serial.print(", °F=");
  Serial.println((c*1.8)+32);
}

millis() = 118005 Temp [av=37414] >> °C=42.48, °F=108.47
119005 Temp [av=37559] >> °C=41.29, °F=106.32
120005 Temp [av=37660] >> °C=40.45, °F=104.82
121005 Temp [av=37710] >> °C=40.04, °F=104.08
122005 Temp [av=37738] >> °C=39.81, °F=103.66
123005 Temp [av=37757] >> °C=39.65, °F=103.38

Last edited:
I have been running my Teensy 3.6 at 144 mhz clock as I don't have air conditioning in the house and it is summer time. I don't feel any heating at all at this speed. I did notice it was quite warm at full speed.

changing the program I plan to run so that it runs without waiting for button pushes. anyone have a good stress test program?

teensy36therm.jpg

here is the image. hope its usefull. it runs both teensy and sd card. clock is at 180 mhz I can take more at other speeds if requested.

Interesting the MCU is uniform temp - my IR thermometer shows variance as I scan the surface with hot spot localized - but it is scanning a larger area than a spot.

hm, I have a not-working teensy 3.2 from a friend.. maybe I find some time in the next days and measure its temperature. It gets very hot.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned about maybe damaging the MCU when running at 240 MHz? I measured up to 103 °F (in a pretty warm room).

Is it required to have an eye on the temp or is there any internal protection like a shut down mechanism?

The sensor is a nice feature. I´m aware that 103 °F is fine.
Just wondering if in case of heavier calculation load the MCU could suffer in case it gets really hot and I don´t notice it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back