Lost Mac Serial Port: Found it

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

I have a buggy sketch/hardware that sometimes makes my Mac loose the serial port but Arduino still reports uploads work. Unplugging replugging the USB cable, exiting Arduino, etc doesn't fix it. If you lose track of the port for the serial monitor I found loading and running the blink example fixes the problem. I'm not asking for help, I'm just offering something to try to get it back if anyone else looses track of it.

On Teensy, all code uploading is done using HID protocol. Serial devices are *never* used for uploading, as they are for regular Arduino. HID protocol is always used for uploading code on Teensy.

Serial is only used when you open the Arduino Serial Monitor, and only if Tools > USB Type is set to one of the options that makes your Teensy become a serial devices.

I did not mean to imply a USB serial device was used to program, if I did that's my error. I just wanted to offered something to try if your teensy is missing the serial com port in the port menu and serial monitor won't run properly all of a sudden. All I know is when this happens to me the "device" used for the serial monitor is no longer in the port menu in Adruino. It happened quite a few times today and while I don't know what caused it but I am sure it's my error and either a program bug or more likely opening the serial monitor at the wrong time (in the middle of an upload). After I upload blink it returns to the menu. I suspect it gets stuck in HID mode for some reason and uploading blink clears it and my serial monitor window to open correctly without the port not found (it could have said busy) warning. There is nothing special about blink, it just uploads fast and I can tell if it starts without using serial monitor. I did have to press the manual program button on the teensy. Trying to upload the sketch I was working on again didn't work. I looked at some pins on the scope after my post and nothing was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back