Installing Teensyduino on an Arduino portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenzofattori

Hi guys!
I just discovered that arduino can run as a portable installation, this can be really helpful for me for keeping teensy projects separate from other projects.

I installed teensyduino without any problems on the portable directory but if I try to compile I got the following error:

Opening Teensy Loader...
Unable find Teensy Loader. (p) Is the Teensy Loader application running?
Error compiling for board Teensy 3.6.

I suppose the automatic loading of teensy loader is not finding it, is there any way to make it work?

I'm running Ubuntu 17.04

Thanks
Lorenzo

The path to the teensy loader is defined in platform.txt in Arduino/hardware/teensy/avr/

Code:
## Teensy Loader
tools.teensyloader.cmd.path={runtime.hardware.path}/../tools
tools.teensyloader.upload.params.quiet=
tools.teensyloader.upload.params.verbose=-verbose
tools.teensyloader.upload.pattern="{cmd.path}/teensy_post_compile" -test "-file={build.project_name}" "-path={build.path}" "-tools={cmd.path}" "-board={build.board}" -reboot

But it seems that compiler.path uses the same "runtime.hardware.path" :
Code:
compiler.path={runtime.hardware.path}/../tools/

so, if compilation works, the loader should start, too.
Did you check the rights and is it marked as executable ?

Last edited:
Interesting in the /tools/ folder I don't have any teensy loader....
Installation (1.37) went fine, can be that is installed somewhere else? Is there any way to install it manually?

Thank you
Lorenzo

Installation (1.37) went fine, can be that is installed somewhere else? Is there any way to install it manually?

Thank you
Lorenzo

Just Install Arduino/teensyduino the normal way and copy it.
The name is just "teensy" (Windows: teensy.exe), but i think you need the other executables, too.

Last edited:
Just Install Arduino/teensyduino the normal way and copy it.
The name is just "teensy" (Windows: teensy.exe), but i think you need the other executables, too.

That's what I wanted to avoid since the beginning.
I will try to locate if it's somewhere in the computer and copy it.

I tried this just now, but I could not reproduce the problem.

sc.png

I tested on Ubuntu 14.04. I extracted a copy of Arduino 1.8.3 and created an empty "portable" folder within. I ran it, and sure enough it was not using my normal prefs or sketchbook folder. It didn't see any of the other boards I have installed, only the AVR boards appeared in the menu. Then I closed Arduino and ran the Teensyduino installer. I used 1.38-beta1.

When I run it, Teensy is in the menu. As you can see in the screenshot, I was able to compile and upload the blink example. The Teensy 3.6 on my desk is blinking (previously it was programmed with Wire lib test code).

I just tried a couple more times, closing the Teensy Loader window. Every Verify or Upload is able to run Teensy Loader again. It seems to be working properly. I'm simply not seeing the error you had.

The "teensy" program (and also "teensy_post_compile" and "teensy_reboot") are supposed to be in the "hardware/tools" folder.

Here's a screenshot of the way it's installed on my copy which works. Maybe you ended up with something different than this?

sc.png

The "teensy" program (and also "teensy_post_compile" and "teensy_reboot") are supposed to be in the "hardware/tools" folder.

Here's a screenshot of the way it's installed on my copy which works. Maybe you ended up with something different than this?

View attachment 10943

Thank you Paul for the info!
The files are there:

Screenshot from 2017-07-03 18-39-36.jpg

but seems that Teensy is not capable to load them.
I started teensy from terminal and then is compiling fine!

no idea why is not working directly, but at least i can compile...

The platform.txt file:
## Teensy Loader
tools.teensyloader.cmd.path={runtime.hardware.path}/../tools
tools.teensyloader.upload.params.quiet=
tools.teensyloader.upload.params.verbose=-verbose
tools.teensyloader.upload.pattern="{cmd.path}/teensy_post_compile" -test "-file={build.project_name}" "-path={build.path}" "-tools={cmd.path}" "-board={build.board}" -reboot

When the compile finishes, the Teensy Loader window is supposed to appear. You can see it in the screenshot I posted on msg #6.

Are you getting that Teensy Loader window? If so, the files are perfectly fine.

After the Teensy Loader window appears, the teensy_post_compile program is run. It tries to send localhost communication to the Teensy Loader program, to inform it of the freshly compiled file. If the Teensy Loader is appearing, perhaps the files are perfectly fine, but something is strangely configured on your machine that's preventing this localhost communication between the programs? Maybe a restrictive firewall? That's extremely unusual on Linux... usually we only see that from Zone Alarm on Windows. But if the window is coming up, that's the place to look.

Teensy Loader has a hidden feature to show you verbose info, including info about the communication it's getting from the Arduino side. You can find it the help menu.

When the compile finishes, the Teensy Loader window is supposed to appear. You can see it in the screenshot I posted on msg #6.

Are you getting that Teensy Loader window? If so, the files are perfectly fine.

After the Teensy Loader window appears, the teensy_post_compile program is run. It tries to send localhost communication to the Teensy Loader program, to inform it of the freshly compiled file. If the Teensy Loader is appearing, perhaps the files are perfectly fine, but something is strangely configured on your machine that's preventing this localhost communication between the programs? Maybe a restrictive firewall? That's extremely unusual on Linux... usually we only see that from Zone Alarm on Windows. But if the window is coming up, that's the place to look.

Teensy Loader has a hidden feature to show you verbose info, including info about the communication it's getting from the Arduino side. You can find it the help menu.

nope, Teensy Loader is not opening after compile, and it gives an error like post #1
if I run manually teensy loader from terminal, then I can program my teensy without any issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back