Built-in Ethernet (Teensy 3.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I hope you can help me.

After digging through documentations and forums I finally decided to post my question here: Where is the built-in ethernet port on the Teensy 3.6? I wasn't able to find it and nobody asked this question.
In Paul's kickstarter Post he mentioned "Ethernet mac, capable of full 100 Mbit/sec speed" as a feature of both the 3.5 and 3.6 model. But it seems like they aren't in the final product? In the official Ethernet documentation is written "For Teensy LC, 3.0 - 3.6, this WIZ820+SD Adaptor and the WIZ820io Module are recommended". That really irritates me because the Teensy 3.6 has an built-in SD Card reader and it should also have builtin ethernet. Please tell me, if I'm wrong or blind.

Thank you in advance,
Tim

Since the 3.6 release, most of the software dev time has gone into the USB host port (the USBHost_t36 library) and a variety of other "small" projects.

In the official Ethernet documentation is written "For Teensy LC, 3.0 - 3.6, this WIZ820+SD Adaptor and the WIZ820io Module are recommended". That really irritates me because the Teensy 3.6 has an built-in SD Card reader and it should also have builtin ethernet.

It'd be pretty premature to recommend the ethernet port with high performance but no usable software over the low performance but very mature Wiznet board.

Just to be realistic, serious work on the ethernet support is unlikely to even begin for at least a few more months. There's a long list of far more urgent software features pending.

Wow, this topic is quite timely! I have a Nvidia Jetson TX2 that I want to talk to a Teensy 3.5.
The Jetson boards can't easily talk to the outside world without carrier/motherboards (they're more like CPU/GPU modules.)
When using the Auvidea J90 carrier board, the Ethernet is broken out simply as send/receive +/- wires, rather than as a RJ45 jack (with R/C wire adaptation, not "real magnetics.")

So, if I want the TX2 to talk to the Teensy 3.5, and if the Teensy 3.5 has send/receive +/- wires available, then presumably it would be somewhat straightforward to wire these up to each other?
What pins are the Ethernet connections available on ?

When using the Auvidea J90 carrier board, the Ethernet is broken out simply as send/receive +/- wires, rather than as a RJ45 jack (with R/C wire adaptation, not "real magnetics.")

So, if I want the TX2 to talk to the Teensy 3.5, and if the Teensy 3.5 has send/receive +/- wires available, then presumably it would be somewhat straightforward to wire these up to each other?
What pins are the Ethernet connections available on ?
You still need a PHY for Teensy, even if you don't use magnetics. Teensy only has a MAC. A direct MAC-MAC connection is probably not possible (unless the TX2 has specific support for that).

There is a good discussion of 'magnetic-less' PHY connections here:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/90330/connecting-two-ethernet-phy-without-magnetics

Thanks for the suggestion!

Which pins of the Teensy 3.5/3.6 actually are the MAC signals? I can't find them on the reference card.

Thanks!

Does the hardware require all signals to be configured like that , or can I "force it" with just the +/- RD/TD pairs and assume a 100 Mbit connection is present?

Also: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snla088a/snla088a.pdf
At the bottom of figure 10, it seems like TD/RD can be coupled straight to another device as long as one set of capacitors are in the loop.
Although this is assuming that a PHY (minus magnetics) is already sitting on the left.

Last edited:
You do not understand. These 8 signals a digital protocol called RMII. The ethernet RX/TX +/- signals are analog. You need an Ethernet PHY chip to convert between these signal types.

Yes, my assumption "Although this is assuming that a PHY (minus magnetics) is already sitting on the left" was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back