Best / Good Components starter kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

User EF86

Can anyone recommend a good starter/advanced kit of with a reason quantity of components in it, don't need anymore Arduino's. Or a good list of what components to order I don't mind doing that way.

Some of the kit's I have seen look a little underwhelming.....

Thanks

Looking at your other posts I think you probably know enough to get what you want directly rather than paying somebody else to put it into a kit with things you don't need. I don't think there could ever be an advanced kit to just go out and buy. Thoughts are:

Are you after the raw parts to make stuff, or breakout boards you wire together (more expensive, work first time)
Are you after sensors, lights,displays, motors/movement or sound/sound - all will take you in different directions and different sellers
5v vs 3.3V - if starting out it's a lot simpler to pick on and stick with it, would suggest 3.3V if you are working with a Teensy.

Some general thoughts:
For breakouts/modules always buy at least the first one a place that on the same page has a data sheet, example Arduino code and preferably a tutorial. Will cost more but always price the frustrated hours staring at non working thing from ebay into that.
For components and small breakouts don't buy one, buy at least three, one to have a learning experience, one to do the job you wanted to do and one to be used in some other project you now know is possible because you've already made it work once. If you can only afford one of something really shiny have a good hard think about buying it at all - starting out is all about learning from mistakes and many people build a project around some expensive part they can't afford to replace and then have to throw the entire project out when the learn through magic smoke.

Components mainly, it would be nice to be able to reach for and have for basic'ish circuit building. Nothing is off the shelf around here mail order is the only option. It's for learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back