17" Macbook Pro is obsolete this month, so no more OSX upgrades. which linux to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

17" Macbook Pro is obsolete this month, so no more OSX upgrades. which linux to use?

After the next OSX ships I need to switch to linux, which one would you all suggest? Anyone done it?

Since in most European Countries (and I don't think that it's much different in the U.S.), computers of all sorts are amortized after 3 years, so there is no need to go with old deprecated hardware. You save more time, stress and taxes if you buy a new one.

After the next OSX ships I need to switch to linux, which one would you all suggest? Anyone done it?

I dual booted Fedora 25 on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro (still supported by MacOs for the foreseeable future, though). Everything worked well other than wireless, which required some additional drivers. I was able to install those in a way that, even after updates, they mostly worked. On a handful of occasions, I'd need to tether to my phone and reinstall them. I also had some minor issues getting the mic on my apple headphones to work well for video conferencing. Overall, it was a good experience.

Last edited:
Thanks. I want to try and stick with Ubuntu mostly because its supported by Paul and I like the choices he makes in most things and he supports Teensy on it. I got my MC84LL/A in November of 2010. I guess 6 1/2 years is good run. You do any Teensy development on Fredora?

Yep! Tons of Teensy development on Fedora and I haven't run into any issues with it.

I have nothing bad to say about Ubuntu and I've done lot's of development in a Debian environment as well. As with most things, it's all about user preference and I ended up liking the Fedora experience the most out of the distributions I've used; although, I still work a lot with Debian and Ubuntu for different development situations (mostly in VM's now, it's easier to cross compile for embedded Debian targets from a Debian host) and find them easy enough to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back