Teensy++ Windows10 unable to communicate with board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizz

Teensy++ Windows10 unable to communicate with board. *** SOLVED ***

I have a Teensy++ purchased 4/1 2013 inv# 29984. I am using windows 10 with natural updates. Have installed Teensy.exe ok. When opening Arduino software, the teensy does not appear in the list of devices available. The arduino software is ver 1.6.11 the teensy loader is 'teensy loader 1.33'
I wanted to use the Teensy to fire LEDs in concert with a rotating wheel with Magnets and hall effect sensors. But am unable to communicate with the teensy. Anyone any ideas please. Seems one cannot contact PRJC directly anymore.

No code available yet.
Nothing to reproduce except plugging a teensy ++ into a windows 10PC that has been naturally updated as they are called for and looking for it in the list of ports or devices.

SOLVED Uninstall any existing versions of arduino, download the latest versions of windows arduino and teensyduino and it works.

Last edited:
Given the numbers above, this is a Teensy purchased direct from PJRC (not a clone)?

Unsure if Teensyduino still supports the T1, or is this a Teensy2++? If it is a T1 there as an older version that does support it availible.

Is the Teensy blinking? If it's in as shipped condition it'll be blinking and quite possible not showing up as much on the device manager.

Pressing the program button should interupt the blink and get a change in USB enumeration, at least breifly.

Also dumb question, but does this USB cable work as a data cable for anything else (it's not just a charge cable?)

edit - link for T++ files https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/33965-Teensy-1-0-support

Given the numbers above, this is a Teensy purchased direct from PJRC (not a clone)?

Unsure if Teensyduino still supports the T1, or is this a Teensy2++? If it is a T1 there as an older version that does support it availible.

Is the Teensy blinking? If it's in as shipped condition it'll be blinking and quite possible not showing up as much on the device manager.

Pressing the program button should interupt the blink and get a change in USB enumeration, at least breifly.

Also dumb question, but does this USB cable work as a data cable for anything else (it's not just a charge cable?)

edit - link for T++ files https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/33965-Teensy-1-0-support

Yes, genuine pjrc device. and yes, cable twice checked and checked using breakout board. The device is a Teensy++ (with pins) and the default blink still runs.

I was worried it had been superseded, but I do not see it in the list of defunkt items and is still on sale so I guess it is still active. For my purposes it should be just fine, yet I cannot get it to show up as it were. Yes, I have downloaded the latest version of Arduino Software, 1.8.3
NB the shipping data suggests the boards is 'Teensy++ USB Board, Version2.0, with header pins' cost $27 + $10 shipping to UK. Shipped from PJRC.Comm LLC Sherwood, or 97140

As per link if it's an actual T1 then it's going to be fiddly to get running since it won't work with latest Teensyduino, might be worth having a look at the pictures on the website to confirm it's actually a T1 you have. If it's actually a T2++ then easy enough but if it's an actual honest to goodness T1 then you've got some choices about stoking decade old software on windows 10 (doable but not what I'd do for fun) or look at a current generation duino of choice, be it a Teensy or something else.

its not a teensy 1 or a gteensy ++ 1 its a teensy++ Version 2.0, genuine item purchased form PJRC Details in the OP

My Board is a Teensy++ V2.0.

Def not a 3.x and certyainly not a Teensy++ V1.x

image of the board and documentation

Teensy Plus Plus V2.jpg

When you plug it in, does it do anything? i.e. does the LED blink?

Warning, I have not used T2+ so not sure of all things about it.

Things like: does it have pads on bottom, that you can cut to remove VUSB from VIN? If so is it cut?

When you plug it in, does anything show up in device manager for it?

Have you tried the normal way to program the board for the first time? That is select the appropriate board type in Arduino IDE. Load up a simple test program link Blink.
Set USB type to Serial. Now with the Teensy plugged in, with the Arduino IDE, click on the verify button, to have the program build. When it completes the Teensy loader app should load up on the screen. Now press the program button on your Teensy. Hopefully you will then see it program the chip and then see the device manager on Windows say new device and assign a com port to it.

Seems one cannot contact PRJC directly anymore.
Have you tried the contact information shown at: https://pjrc.com/about/contact.html
There are email addresses, phone number, ...

Hi, thank you for your help. Yes, the on board LED blinks to show the defacto routine 'Blink' is alive and well.
Thank you for letting me know you do not have knowledge on the Teensy++ V2.0, (Sigh!) The board is not seen in the interface software, as explained above. Therefore I am unable to 'write' a sketch to the teensy++ V2.0 (Maybe I should create a thread explaining that I cannot connect the teensy++V.2 to the software in the Windows 10 environment and see if any other person has a similar issue, or better still, knows a 'work-around' for it. )

And yes, the obligatory link https://pjrc.com/about/contact.html is available, (cunningly disguised as a link) however, there is seeming a never ending trash can on the far end as no one ever replies, and as I am in the United Kingdom of England, and not in the United States of the Americas, making a phone call is a bit on the pricey side.

The board is not seen in the interface software, as explained above. Therefore I am unable to 'write' a sketch to the teensy++ V2.0 (Maybe I should create a thread explaining that I cannot connect the teensy++V.2 to the software in the Windows 10 environment and see if any other person has a similar issue, or better still, knows a 'work-around' for it. )

"not seen in the interface software" -- are you saying when you open the IDE and select Tools > Board you don't see any Teensy boards listed? can you take/share a screen shot?

if that is the case, maybe you have more than one copy of Arduino/Teensy IDE installed?

I have Win 10 and teensy ++ 2, and it "works for me "

When opening Arduino software, the teensy does not appear in the list of devices available.

You need to run the Teensyduino installer to add the Teensy stuff to your Arduino software. Get it here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

From your description, it sounds like you have only the stand-alone Teensy Loader. A copy if it included in that installer, but the installer gives you much more in Arduino. The stand-alone loader just lets you program HEX files, but it has none of the extra stuff to allow Arduino to create the HEX files from your code. You need the full Teensyduino install.

Hi, thank you for your help. Yes, the on board LED blinks to show the defacto routine 'Blink' is alive and well.
Thank you for letting me know you do not have knowledge on the Teensy++ V2.0, (Sigh!) The board is not seen in the interface software, as explained above. Therefore I am unable to 'write' a sketch to the teensy++ V2.0 (Maybe I should create a thread explaining that I cannot connect the teensy++V.2 to the software in the Windows 10 environment and see if any other person has a similar issue, or better still, knows a 'work-around' for it. )

And yes, the obligatory link https://pjrc.com/about/contact.html is available, (cunningly disguised as a link) however, there is seeming a never ending trash can on the far end as no one ever replies, and as I am in the United Kingdom of England, and not in the United States of the Americas, making a phone call is a bit on the pricey side.
Again have you followed the steps for a new Teensy? https://pjrc.com/teensy/td_usage.html

That is for example I plugged in a brand new Teensy 3.0... Bought in the firesale of them. When it is plugged in it does not create a Serial port. The port menu stays empty as there are no Serial interface defined yet for that board. So after the program is built and the Teensy loader program is up. pressing the program button on your teensy should put the board into program mode, which the Teensy program should then use to program the board. Only after this completes (and only if you have chosen a USB type that supports serial, will a Comm port be created and then the board show up in the Port menu...

P.S. - I have used a couple of T2.0 (just not ++) - I just programmed one with blink just now... Although it has been programmed before so it shows up in list.

Again have you followed the steps for a new Teensy? https://pjrc.com/teensy/td_usage.html

That is for example I plugged in a brand new Teensy 3.0... Bought in the firesale of them. When it is plugged in it does not create a Serial port. The port menu stays empty as there are no Serial interface defined yet for that board. So after the program is built and the Teensy loader program is up. pressing the program button on your teensy should put the board into program mode, which the Teensy program should then use to program the board. Only after this completes (and only if you have chosen a USB type that supports serial, will a Comm port be created and then the board show up in the Port menu...

P.S. - I have used a couple of T2.0 (just not ++) - I just programmed one with blink just now... Although it has been programmed before so it shows up in list.

I knew it was a silly idea asking for help when I have no way of knowing if those I am asking have any real knowledge or experience.

I don't get an 'error message' but by deduction, I get a warning of a possible error, from the teensyduino installer.When choosing a folder to install the teensyduino software to, the 'Next' button does not illuminate. The '?' button does, and upon clicking it I get a reminder about all the possible versions that are incompatible, 1.0.6 etc. Scrolling through the statements, is one that reads: 'Checking arduino 1.8.3: Version:"lib\version.txt" file missing does not match Arduino 1.8.3'. I have to believe this 'IS' an error message! though the format and grammar are borderline incomprehensible.

Checking Arduino 1.0.6:
version: "lib/version.txt" file missing
Does not match Arduino 1.0.6
Checking Arduino 1.6.5-r5:
Does not match Arduino 1.6.5-r5
Checking Arduino 1.6.9:
Does not match Arduino 1.6.9
Checking Arduino 1.8.1:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.1
Checking Arduino 1.8.2:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.2
Checking Arduino 1.8.3:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.3

The fact it is repetitive is a worry and an obvious sign something is broken, but as to how that helps I do not know.
If anyone from PJRC ever visits this forum, maybe they can entertain me with a solution.

If anyone from PJRC ever visits this forum

That's me. In fact, I wrote the installer. I've already replied once here, and here's another (both on a weekend), so you can stop believing nobody from PJRC is trying to help you!

The installer tries to check that you have a compatible version of Arduino. It does many checks against each version it supports. All 6 versions of Arduino this installer supports have this versions.txt file in their lib folder. The reason you're seeing a similar error 6 times is not "an obvious sign something is broken". It simply means whatever folder you've selected doesn't have another "lib" which contains a "version.txt" file, so it can't possibly be a copy of Arduino.

You mentioned you're using Windows 10. Most Windows users run the Windows installer to get Arduino. That installer by default puts Arduino into c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino. Of course it lets you choose another location. You can also get Arduino by the ZIP file, which you can extract anywhere. If you've chosen another location, you need to know where it is, and then navigate to that location with the Teensyduino installer. The Teensyduino installer does check if you have Arduino in the default location, and a few other likely places, but it can't scan your entire computer.

Of course, you also need to have one of those 6 supported versions. But since you're getting messages about not even finding the lib/version.txt file, you've probably got a folder selected that isn't a copy of Arduino at all.

The simplest thing to do on Windows is to just run the Arduino installer, and then run the Teensyduino installer, using the default settings in both. If you install one of the supported versions, it will all "just work". If you're doing something special and putting things in other locations, it can work, but you have to be knowledgeable about where you put things on your hard drive, and be capable of navigating to them.

Last edited:
That's me. In fact, I wrote the installer. I've already replied once here, and here's another (both on a weekend), so you can stop believing nobody from PJRC is trying to help you!

The installer tries to check that you have a compatible version of Arduino. It does many checks against each version it supports. All 6 versions of Arduino this installer supports have this versions.txt file in their lib folder. The reason you're seeing a similar error 6 times is not "an obvious sign something is broken". It simply means whatever folder you've selected doesn't have another "lib" which contains a "version.txt" file, so it can't possibly be a copy of Arduino.

You mentioned you're using Windows 10. Most Windows users run the Windows installer to get Arduino. That installer by default puts Arduino into c:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino. Of course it lets you choose another location. You can also get Arduino by the ZIP file, which you can extract anywhere. If you've chosen another location, you need to know where it is, and then navigate to that location with the Teensyduino installer. The Teensyduino installer does check if you have Arduino in the default location, and a few other likely places, but it can't scan your entire computer.

Of course, you also need to have one of those 6 supported versions. But since you're getting messages about not even finding the lib/version.txt file, you've probably got a folder selected that isn't a copy of Arduino at all.

The simplest thing to do on Windows is to just run the Arduino installer, and then run the Teensyduino installer, using the default settings in both. If you install one of the supported versions, it will all "just work". If you're doing something special and putting things in other locations, it can work, but you have to be knowledgeable about where you put things on your hard drive, and be capable of navigating to them.

Paul, Thank you. I agree with you completely and yes , I was getting 'hot under the collar'.
I resolved this by, most of the above, but one thing that never occurred to me. I had deleted the existing arduino setup instead of uninstalling it. So the solve was to UNINSTALL the existing 'older' arduino software, then follow your instructions above. As I had done. It seemed sense to download the latest versions. One thing that did throw me, was that my second arduino install attempt, led me to downloading the windows App for the arduino, and that is the one without the 'lost' file.
Many thanks, I might just get thuis up and running now after what, two years or more waiting for the the time and the parts to be available.

ty paul, good to see you visit the forum now and then, I was beginning to believe that there were no longer qualified people on the 'other end'.

I agree. Not only the numbers check the activity stream. Never seen anyone give as much time to supporting the folks asking questions or resolving problems. Think that's why I pretty much switch from Arduino to teensy. Not sure where Paul finds the time.

Version.txt

HI -
I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the Arduino IDE on WIN 10.. by default the install link forces the installation through the Microsoft Store and as part of that Installation it puts ARDUINO and ARDUINOData folders in the DOCUMENTS folder, however, neither of these folders have a version.txt. As a result, running the TeensyDuino installer cannot proceed as it cannot find the version.txt files. I scanned my c drive and there are none to be found.. What am I missing ?

hey hey Thanks much !
Somehow.. i didnt see the download option for install, I only saw the link that launched the MS Store..
All working now, thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back