64x64 RGB LED matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank B

I bought this a few minutes ago, just for fun:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/P2-...60MM-resolution-64x64-pixels/32787250639.html

Does anybody know how to connect this type of display ? Anybody used this before ? LOL, I even don't know what connections it has..
Any hints a very welcome!

P2-5-Indoor-HD-LED-DISPLAY-PANEL-160MM-X-160MM-resolution-64x64-pixels.jpg

Maybe with the SmartMatrix library?

I thought about SmartMatrix, but currently they are not offering anything bigger than 32x32 boards as a product. There was some discussion about 64x64 boards on the community site (note, I don't own any SmartMatrix gear, but I recall when they came out, and just looked at their site). You might want to connect with the folks over there:

That seems to rely on an out of stock $20 shield - when panel voltages need a boost toward 5V.

The PJRC non SD version out of stock and no longer in production: https://www.pjrc.com/store/smartmatrix_kit.html

Linked around to : https://github.com/pixelmatix/SmartMatrix/releases
Largest supported sizes: 64x64-pixel or 32x128-pixel display using 4x 32x32 panels - 90Hz refresh rate with Teensy 3.1 at 96MHz. Even larger sizes are possible (e.g. 96x64 by sacrificing refresh rate and color depth).

SmartMatrix Library for Teensy 3 {github}

More linking shows a new set of Shield V4 hardware may be in the works?
embedded-creations commented on Jun 7
The SmartMatrix Library uses DMA hardware that's very specific to the Kinetis MK66. I investigating porting it to the processor in the Teensy LC, and the STM32 processor that's in the Particle Photon, and found it to be too hard to port.
I'm simplifying the DMA by adding some hardware that will be in the upcoming SmartMatrix Shield V4. Keep an eye out for the hardware and updated library in the next month or so. That version will be more portable, it only uses 2 DMA channels instead of 4. It still won't be that easy to port.

Clicked back on community.pixelmatix.com/:

Some 64x64 and Teensy usage threads there.

And saw this comment 21 June 2017:
The SmartMatrix Shield has been out of stock for less than a month. I was hoping to have the new V4 shield ready before stock ran out at Adafruit but it took longer than I expected to make the new version. The new version is being manufactured now and is probably only a few weeks from being available for purchase from Adafruit.
In the meantime, you can wire up your Teensy and RGB panel manually without the SmartMatrix shield:
http://docs.pixelmatix.com/SmartMat...-details-manually-connecting-teensy-and-panel

I'm behind in getting the V4 shield ready to sell - prepping to move internationally is taking priority - but I'm still working on it when I have time.

There's a method in this thread to get the SmartMatrix Library to work with this style panel and a Teensy 3.2 or 3.5 or 3.6 by using one of the pins on the underside of the Teensy.
http://community.pixelmatix.com/t/modify-code-for-64-64-pixel-hub75e-1-32-scan-led-panels/212/11

The V4 shield will have Teensy 3.6 support, and will support this style panel without needing to solder anything to the bottom of the Teensy.

I just got an Alpha KStarter 32x32 panel that ships with a PIC - and was just to have an UNO pinout - now it will have Teensy pinout as well - ideally with second outboard row for headers to pull off unused pins (not many {unless using FrankB's castellated board for bottom or a T_3.5/3.6} with 13 to display, 4 pots, 2 switches)- didn't get the PCB update back to confirm yet. I wired up T_3.1/3.5/3.5 [LC or 3.0 should work as well] with a fork of a fork of Adafruit code - Nice display. Would be really nice platform to have 64x64 work on. If I read right FrankB's panel is the same overall size - of course a different thing using SmartMatrix.

FrankB - hopefully you can get a datasheet for your display (control/addressing/color depth)? Just passing by AdaFruit they sell 32x64 units with notes that the pin count goes from 13 to 16 - so it seems they just duplicate 3 of the address/control lines - that wouldn't scale to 64x64- the 'link to code' just goes to the same 32x32 tutorial. Folks are doing that ( and more ) with the PixelMatix hardware though - and it runs via DMA already from what I saw - so better refresh and less overhead - not sure of connection pins used? What I saw from my 32x32 was 2 Amps @ 5V - very bright - good it comes with smoked shield for up close viewing. Will be interesting to see if your panel uses more efficient/lower power LEDS - or blinds you with 8 Amps flowing - your listing doesn't show - but similar panels are 20W so ~4 A with smaller LEDS in same 160mm footprint - very bright at 2X current.

FrankB - hopefully you can get a datasheet for your display (control/addressing/color depth)?

No, I've searched but found nothing :-(
Still looking for a power-supply.. does the Display really need 4 AMPs ?

The Display may take some Days to arrive..

I've seen my 32x32 take 2 full amps when WHITE. With 4X lower power/smaller LEDS, 4 Amps seems quite possible and that is what another display quoted - same 64x64 LEDS, but slightly larger overall size.

2 Amps isn't as hard as there are common USB tablet/phone chargers that can push 2 amps - as well as USB charger battery packs. Wiring for over 2A will be harder.

The FORUM for PixelMatix might have useful connect details as some folks have done over 32x32 already on Teensy. Adafruit doesn't help over 32x32 that I saw. They note they daisy chain - but not sure if that is enough for a single 64x64.

The display arrived. Two of them. err... four. The "64x64" consists of two pcs of 32x64 - but somehow they sent me four.:
2017-08-22 17.30.34.jpg

Don't know when I have time for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back