Teensy LC - went dead ? SPI / I2C Programming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I've just bought a brand new Teensy LC and everything worked perfectly, at the begining.
The laptop saw it, right away, the LED begun to blink and the Teensy appeard in device manager as a HID device.
I have loaded a new hex in it, again everything worked smooth.
After that, I have tried to reload the bling_slow hex. While uploading, something happened and the board is not seen by the laptop
ever since.
I've tried using different USB cable, different computers, different operating sistem. No luck. The board acts like it doesn't exist anymore.
The computers doesn't see it at all.
I've tried everything I could find online, like using Teensyduino, plugging the board while pressing the reset button. Nothing worked.
When it is plugged, the board gets power and it outputs 3.3 volts. The fuse on the board is OK and so are the 33 ohm resistors
on the USB data lines. That's all I could check.
Is it possible to be dead after an hour of working ?
I've read this board is seen by the PC only when is running a program so I'm thinking , if something happened while uploading the and the
program isn't working , maybe that's why the computer doesn't see the board. Could that be the case ?
Is it possible to program this board using other way than on USB ? Something like SPI or I2C ?
Or, what else should I try ?

If functional - pushing the Program Button will return it to the HID mode you saw. Holding the button and plugging in as you noted will do that.

Is the board unsoldered - To work with SPI or I2C it seems it was connected to something. Are they 3.3V devices? The Teensy LC pins are not 5V tolerant.

The note about 'seen by the PC only when is running a program' relates to Serial USB - it requires a functioning program that was built with USB support to appear to the computer on USB Serial Monitor.

WHAT happened ?

Try to plug in the teensy, hold the button for 15 seconds and try to upload "blink" with usb-type serial.

Is anything else connected to the Teensy ?
Is it a Teensy 2 or 3 ?

No.

Well, I don't know what happened. Nothing special. At least that was what I thought.
All of a sudden Teensy loader got deactivated (buttons went grey), but I thought that's not a problem.
I have some experience with Atmega microcontrollers and Arduino so I thought all I have to do is start all over again
And I've tried, but the computer refused to see/comunicate with the board.
As a detail, nothing had been connected to the board when I've tried that upload. Just the board connected to USB port, so
any wrong connections or overvoltges are out of the question, I think.

I've just tried the 15sec reset and it didn't work. It is a Teensy LC board.

I bought the board for a project using an LCD display but, unfortunately I didn't get to that point.
Again, the board has been only connected to the USB port at the moment it happened whatever it happened.

If you can post pictures it might show the condition of the board? Did you get a 'Welcome to Teensy-LC' card with it?

Something out of the norm or missing info here as this is most uncommon to just plug into USB and have trouble that won't resolve by reprogramming.

Yes, I have the Welcome card.
Yes, you are right, I'm also puzzled how could this happen just trying to program it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

I'm running Windows, but it is Windows 7.

I'm thinking, could it be a faulty bootloader chip ?
Do you think it would worth buying a new one and trying to replace the one on the board ?

It's never a good idea to buy whatever electronic components by single units. You always should order them by 2 or 3 to allow a differential diagnose.

i blew a 3.5 when probing it to a nex headunit, hit a 12v trace, nothing special happened, just wont recognize, have a drawer full of 3.2's and 3.5's, using a 3.2 for the tests now

Well, yeah, buying more units could be an idea for the future.
The question here is, what I can do, not what I could have done...

In terms of finding what happened before things went south before buying anything else, if it truly was just sitting on the bench on a non conductive surface when it went south then look at the hex file that started it all is the next step. Was this code you compiled, or a prebuilt hex file? And if it was a prebuilt hex file then was it one intended for a LC or some other CPU? The Teensyduino will reject building a hex file for the wrong CPU but if you manually load one it assumes you meant to do that and sends it.

Though normally even with a truly random hex file the bootloader should have been able to wipe it and get it back, unless the effectively random bits in the hex hit one of the write protect bits. Don't know enough of the LC vs 3.2 vs T2++ to say much about how the different header segments in the hex would interact when stuck into a CPU with a completely different config.

edit: the Teensy LC programing port is occupied by the bootloader chip (not on reachable pins like the more basic 8 bit AVT), so rescue would involve removing that and buying your own programer. Which given it looks like the bootloader isn't getting much action suspect a programmer wouldn't find anybody home either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back