Pin count discrepancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtSiff

Hello,

After having great success using the Teensy 3.6 i'm planning on making a custom PCB for a university project. One think I'd like clarification is the discrepancy between number of pins on the package, Teensy schematic and sumbol (downloaded from NXP):

why.jpg

I'm using KiCAD and there does't seem to be a schematic available for this mcu yet, so I downloaded the symbol from NXP and the package is only showing 72 pins (but is correctly allocated to a 144pin LQFP). Is the difference due to VCC and VDD pins being left out? Or are some pins just mapped to more than one physical pin?

Cheers

Hello,

After having great success using the Teensy 3.6 i'm planning on making a custom PCB for a university project. One think I'd like clarification is the discrepancy between number of pins on the package, Teensy schematic and sumbol (downloaded from NXP):

View attachment 11124

I'm using KiCAD and there does't seem to be a schematic available for this mcu yet, so I downloaded the symbol from NXP and the package is only showing 72 pins (but is correctly allocated to a 144pin LQFP). Is the difference due to VCC and VDD pins being left out? Or are some pins just mapped to more than one physical pin?

Cheers

As far as i know the schematic is correct. Additional GPIOs are not available on the Teensy 3.6 due to its small size.
Is there a reason not to use the Teensy?

Edit: You know that the 3.6 uses a BGA package?

Last edited:
As far as i know the schematic is correct. Additional GPIOs are not available on the Teensy 3.6 due to its small size.
Is there a reason not to use the Teensy?

Edit: You know that the 3.6 uses a BGA package?

I'm planning on using the MK66FX1M0VLQ18 which comes in a LQFP package. The reason I found it weird is that the official symbol that I downloaded from NXP direct only appears to have 72 pins.

I want a custom teensy board as I want to integrate a number of peripherals all on one board.

Well, It is much easier to put the teensy on a circuit board. But that's your decision :D. You'll need the bootloader anyway.

I wouldn't rely on downloadable symbols... the last one I dowloaded has its pin-numbers mirrored. With an other symbol, same board, the distance between two pins was wrong..
Have to order a new batch of boards now... the first time, I had all correct, everythink OK, but i can't use the boards due to wrong 3thrd-party symbols. .... 7 boards -> trash.

Yeah I'm going to get the MKL04 chip as well :D The item i'm designing has to be manufactured as if it was an end, consumer product, so no soldering development boards onto other boards i'm afraid!

Damn, that sounds like a pain. I'd hope the ones downloaded directly from NXP would be correct though!

The MK66FX1M0VLQ18 is split into two symbols. The first symbol contains pin 1 - 72 and the second symbol pin 73 - 144. In Ultra Librarian one can switch between the symbols with the "View Previous" and "View Next" buttons.

hey there,

for creating board i am using EAGLE. There i've searched for the chips of MK64FX512 (teensy 3.5) too and i found a programm called Ultra Librarian, where you can search for many components already drawn in many datatypes (e.g. egale files or cad-types).
https://www.ultralibrarian.com/
i downloaded it via element14 i think, but i am not shure. and there is a free version. As Frank B said, you always have to check, if the downloaded chip and its pins are correct!
Also you can try to look over the element14 community where you can find many designs of electrical components too (for EGALE, and maybe for other programs).

Is that the larger pinned chip package Paul shipped for the K66 Beta of T_3.6? And an OSH Park Proto PCB published?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back