Serial Monitor does not open after Reset

I tested with TyComm to arrive at those shortened and SPLIT delay general numbers - and it was reliable and faster and pointed Paul in that direction. I tested some on the IDE at the time and I didn't see it change behavior - but if it is HUB connection issue it would have been bad in both cases.

I'm back on the T_3.1 again tomorrow - may move to T_3.5 - I'll see what my Win 10 machine does with adjusted timing and no hub. I got a KS 32x32 LED matrix Alpha unit to test putting a Teensy footprint on (will ship with a PIC installed and UNO footprint) - some half of it is working.

Frank: I just emailed Koromix - I had to go back to TyTools-0.8.5-win64 to work as Win 10 was giving HID error {...I/O error while reading from '\\.\HID#VID_16C0&PID_0478...} on upload with TyTools-0.8.6-5-g88935fc-win64 - This was on a T_3.1 and TeensyLoader was working.

Hi Paul. Can confirm what Frank B said with his observations. I am using a T3.5 for this. I went up as far as 1500ms on the delay but had no effect on the behavior of the TM. Only other observation I've saw was that if you watch Device Manager you can see where the com port is visible for the teensy and then on reset it refreshes (blinks) and the teensy com port becomes visible again.

As defragster pointed out TyCommander works fine on the reset but I could not upload any sketches through the IDE or tyCommander when it was integrated with the IDE. Had to uninstall it to get things to work again. But that is not this issue.

Frank B:
EDIT:
During my testing, I managed to "brick" the teensy. It wasn't recognized by Windows anymore and seemed "dead".
I guess, TYQT was part of the problem.
The Teensyloader wasn't running, but the Taskmanager showed a running instance of teensyreboot.
Killing it, closing TYQT, reflashing with the teensyloader (after doing the "delete" trick with 15 sec button press) helped.

Will you describe how you un-bricked it? I've tried holding down the button on my Teensy 3.2 while plugging in the USB cable, but that didn't work. I've also tried holding the button down for 15s, no luck. I really want to avoid having to buy another 3.2 and...uh, avoid using any sleep modes until my code is 100% ready to deploy haha. There's got to be a way to implement deep sleep that isn't like burning out a fuse.

Frank B:

Will you describe how you un-bricked it? I've tried holding down the button on my Teensy 3.2 while plugging in the USB cable, but that didn't work. I've also tried holding the button down for 15s, no luck. I really want to avoid having to buy another 3.2 and...uh, avoid using any sleep modes until my code is 100% ready to deploy haha. There's got to be a way to implement deep sleep that isn't like burning out a fuse.

1. Make sure that you have a working USB-DATA cable (test it with an other device (smartphone?)! - it could be defective).
2. Disconnect all other devices from the Teensy.
3. If you're using TYQT, uninstall it.
4. Sometimes(rarely), there are hidden instances of Teensyloader or other Teensy-tools running. Best is, to disconnect the Teensy and to reboot the computer before this:
5. On the freshly booted PC, start Arduino, load the "Blink" example, select usb-type Serial", minimum 24MHz and the right Teensy.
6. Hold the Teensy-button, plugin the usb-cable. Use a watch to stop 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, release the button.
7. Disconnect the cable, wait a second and plug it in again. Press "Upload" in Teensyduino, and press the Teensy-button.

8. Try again.

Last edited:
Back