Rohs?

Hi, is there any document availiable that states that the Teensy is RoHS compliant. It would be of assistance in our CE-marking procedure to include it as an appendix.

I know for sure we buy only ROSH compliant parts and PCB material and the contract manufacturer uses a ROSH compliant process with lead-free solder.

We're not big on formal documentation, so I just don't know what we have there. Email Robin directly to ask. If you're used to big corporations with ISO9000 style formality, mentally prepare yourself to be underwhelmed...

Trebuh, indeed, it is paramount that in-scope finish products are CE and RoHS-compliant.

The European Union Blue guide on CE marking shows all the applicable requirements, including among others:

• Electromagnetic compatibility;
  • The ErP Directive - Ecodesign requirements for energy-related products; and…
  • RoHS.
RoHS restricts the content of 10 types of hazardous substances in electronics. These chemicals are four heavy metals (Pb, Hg, Cr6+, Cd, and their compounds), two brominated substance families (PBBs and PBDEs), and four phthalates (BBP, DBP, DEHP, and DIBP)

An official RoHS declaration of conformity (DoC) must follow Annex VI of Directive 2011/65/EU. Importantly, it must contain:

• Tennsy’s product references. Alternatively, product models can be grouped if they show the same RoHS details
  • The notes that ‘This declaration of conformity is issued under the sole responsibility of the manufacturer (or installer)
  • The compliance statement, with the reference to the RoHS directive
  • The list of applicable standards to make the RoHS assessments, like:
  • IEC 63000 - technical documentation for the assessment of electrical and electronic products with respect to the restriction of hazardous substances
  • the IEC 62321 series about the determination of certain substances in electrotechnical products
  • The DoC should also show RoHS exemptions, if any. The exemptions that may apply to Tennsy’s populated circuit boards include:
  • 6C - Copper alloy containing up to 4 % lead by weight.
  • 7A - Lead in high melting temperature type solders (lead-based alloys containing 85 % by weight or more lead).
  • 7C-I - Electrical and electronic components containing lead in a glass or ceramic other than dielectric ceramic in capacitors (piezoelectronic devices) or in a glass or ceramic matrix compound.
Importantly, article 7 of the EU Directive on manufacturers’ obligations requires RoHS procedures to demonstrate compliance and the maintenance of product conformity.

I hope this helps to find what is at stake when it comes to having Tennsy’s CE and ROHS-compliant products.

Back