Reflow oven from Panasonic IR toaster oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxgeek

I didn't want to keep posting in an old reflow oven thread, since I'm gonna start posting a bunch of pics and hopefully get some more guidance.

This is using the Panasonic NB-G110P. An expensive model to do this with, but it had a touchy power button and my wife wanted to get another one. It's been waiting in the garage for me to attempt this.
41aylkgqq-L.jpg

Taken apart and labeled
reflowToasterOvenWithText.jpg

jwatte had some great ideas to keep it cheap, but I'm afraid if I have to do too many steps, the whole project might not get done.
headroom converted this exact same toaster oven so I'm hoping he sees this and helps.

I ordered these parts:

Solid State Relay - 40A (3-32V DC Input)
COM-13015 1 $9.95
Thermocouple Type-K - Glass Braid Insulated (Bare Wire)
SEN-00251 1 $13.95
SparkFun Thermocouple Breakout - MAX31855K
SEN-13266 1 $14.95

Some comments and questions:

Looks to me like the blue/white wires on the right side (facing the unit) go to a temperature sensor. Should I take that out and leave on the side so that the unit stays on all the time? And then use that hole for my k-type thermocouple?

The thick black cables are the 120V AC mains coming in. The white/red wire goes to the halogen light on the left, and returns on the right to the return side of the IR rods.

It looks to me that the white/yellow goes to the bottom and top IR rods, and both return on the white wire, so they are wired in parallel (correct?).

The halogen light will be handy, and there is a button on the panel for it (I believe). I'm a little fuzzy on the operation since it's been awhile since it was in use.

The power switch is touchy and basically broken, I'll probably need to fix that.

Basic questions
Should I put the SSR relay in line with the white/red wires that go to the IR rods?

Future questions:
Should I place some insulation around the cage? Insulation recommendation? Inside/Outside?

Should I place some PC fans with speed control on the the vents for cooling?

Looks like it should be possible to turn on the top heater element separately from the bottom heater element. Useful?

These are all the parts for this toaster oven, although I don't see the halogen-like bulb.
https://encompass.com/model/MSCNBG110P/_/_/Panasonic/NBG110P/TOASTER_OVEN

I just realized these pictures might be handy to post on the amazon site for it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back