Usb output to a speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to connect a USB audio out device to a Teensy programed as USB Audio, no. Both devices need a USB host to function. Teensy 3.6 can be a USB host but don't believe there is an Audio driver for it.

Teensy can create audio outputs in a number of ways.
- USB Audio... set using the IDE for the USB type setting... but this would only be to a USB host, as GremlinWrsngler notes. USB speakers are peripherals, not hosts. Teensy, in this case, is also a peripheral.
- Audio Shield (additional board from PJRC) through its headphone jack or line-out pins
- DAC pin on the Teensy (I've not done this one)
The Audio Library encapsulates all of these.

Can you say more about the speaker type(s) you're thinking of, and what inputs they have?

Last edited:
hello,
I wonder what happened if i connect a speaker to a Teensy set with audio setting from the arduino IDE?
Thank you :)

With an amplifier between the Teensy pin and the speaker, correct?!? I can recommend the Audio Adapter board, using the Line Out pins to an audio amplifier.

Ok, I've read the paper.
I tried to make the DAC option. That work fine. Something to know is that output have an DC offset- it's written on the GUI audio interface- an 10µF capacitor is recommanded. There is also an indication about the output voltage. As it's a low value, it's possible to connect a lm386 amplifier.
just remember to protect the teensy against Vcc Aop (red wires, black wires or diods) and put the 10 microF behind the DAC output.

Can you say more about the speaker type(s) you're thinking of, and what inputs they have?

The speakers I mean have an usb connection and jack.
their usb connection are peripherals as sayed Davidelvig so they only work linked with computers or a tab.
I can intend to make a loopback between player and recorder but I prefer audio jack directly plugged in the speaker.

Thank you for answering to my question, I am grateful

Last edited:
You cannot connect a speaker directly to the teensy; the speaker draws too much current. You need an amplifier between the Teensy and the speaker.
For example: http://amzn.to/2vUztfA
You can then run a sketch that says "audio out" and uses the USB data input to feed to the DAC, and it will seem to your computer as if it is a "sound card" that you can choose to play music or whatever out through.
I've done it, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back