Would like advice on daylight viewable TFT LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matadormac

Good day.

I have a meter project that I would like to use a 3.5 inch daylight viewable TFT LCD with touchscreen display in. I currently use the PJRC LCD but find it unreadable in some daylight use situations.

I am looking at some of the Chinese suppliers.

I would greatly appreciate having your experience in this.

Regards

Thank you for the URLS. I knew about the Newhaven products but had never investigated the 4D products. They are interesting but also expensive and I am leery about using the 4D programming environment(s) as well as how they integrate with the Teensy 3.2 which is at the heart of my projects.

I am investigating a vendor on Alibaba selling transreflective TFT LCDs with an ILI9341 chip and resistive touch. I haven't bought one yet but will post my results if any. Their price point should be less than $20.

Thank you

Update to Alibaba inquiry for a daylight readable TFT LCD ILI 9341C. I am corresponding with a company about this product and awaiting a quote on a few units for testing. They can supply a resistive touch screen but apparently I would have to add my own chip to control the touch screen to my board!? Here is an excerpt from my current correspondence.
We have standard Reistive touch screen/RTP for 3.5'' sunlight readable.,

But our std. RTP dont have the controller IC., Coz. for RTP controller, you need to add it on your board, the controller can be ADS7843 or XPT2046 etc.

The XPT2046 would appear to be the same as on the PJRC LCD. But how would I go about putting that chip into my project with a Teensy 3.2??

Regards

The XPT2046 would appear to be the same as on the PJRC LCD. But how would I go about putting that chip into my project with a Teensy 3.2??

Regards

You design the needed circuitry around the XPT2046 and add it to your circuit board design besides the contacts for the Teensy...

IMG_0151.jpgim using dual 4d displays in my setup with teensy 3.5, no issues at all.

Well back to investigating the 4D display. What unit/model did you decide to use for your project?

Thank you

i used the ulcd-70dt and ulcd-43pt, i suggest you get the "D" models as theyre faster than "P", "T" means touchscreen support, optional "C" means capacitive touch, beauty of these displays is usually one line is needed for lcd to do something as lcd runs its own code and images off it's own uSD, which offloads resources and space from the microcontroller

the 2 models i listed have recently been replaced with newer model, except the circuit is integrated within the lcd casing, and doesnt include an onboard speaker, and uses a ribbon instead of normal pin headers
but the hardware is the same
you may check it on their website, arduino section, all those lcds are compatible with teensy. Theres been a new beta library I helped write for it that supports self-recovery, and non-blocking, you can externally power off/on LCD power without affecting your loop code as well, this is excellent especially for my setup, where the cluster displays can be switched off and on via power mosfet without affecting your other code. The screens can be programmed as standalone as well with 4DGL code, similar to PASM, however, using the "Genie Environment" allows the host, in this case, Teensy, control the screen. They also support baudrates from 9600 - 600,000 but your still limited by the drawing ACK so going crazy on baud wont do much. With the PRO version you can use HOST mode with custom code added, otherwise called as magic objects. This gives greater control over the code layer while still having quick drag/drop support for widgets, and the lcd also has it's own gpio pins, and 3xi2c/3xspi/3xuart ports, master only mode though.

my guages were done via photoshop animation frames, you can use other stuff like imagemagic or whatever
the new release of Workshop supports smart objects, which create multi-level graphics and frames for you in a given widget space similar to how overlapping objects are, and can create animations for you with them.

the 4.3" is push-to-start screen, it loads a animated civic logo on screen power up, followed by a spinning activated START/STOP button, clicking on options gives access to the HVAC climate controls which can be seen in my other videos, instead of leds, i just created animated HVAC buttons that glow when activated, even have live CANBUS traffic of BCM, HSCAN, and ECU (switchable) directly on the gauge screen via another form

heres a sample i took in my setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYf7b_v5GDE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back