Use Teensy 3.6 USB for serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded serial port on arduino and teensy is also the uart0 and can be used for debugging. So to use USB, you need only to use functions like Serial.println() and Serial.Available().

Is this possible with the extra USB port on the teensy 3.6? I have another device that communicates using the same means.

But I guess another way to looking at it is this: Would it be possible to use the extra USB port to read debug data from an arduino? This isn't my exact plan, but its the same idea.

Or....do I need some super-long and complicated driver?

why not using one of the may hardware serial ports and connect via uart-usb adapter to PC?
or did I get you question wrong?
not sure if for the 2nd usb port there exist SW yet

OK, so what I actually have is a USB Zigbee dongle that normally goes into a PC or a Raspberry Pi. It uses a JN5169 zigbee module and goes from UART to USB within the dongle.

What I want is to be able to send data from the Zigbee module to the Teensy 3.6's D+ and D- pins and read it on the Teensy.

On the main USB port on the teensy, it isn't much of an issue. If you want to send data over the main USB, you simply use Serial.println() and all works as expected.

With this second port, it isn't the same. Probably because the main port is just serial going through a UART to USB converter. But I know Paul has a USBHost library, but it seems to operate totally differently and is specific to things like keyboard drivers and MIDI devices.

I wasn't sure what the best way to simply send and receive serial data over USB was.

But I know Paul has a USBHost library ... is specific to things like keyboard drivers and MIDI devices.

Support for USB serial devices is on my todo list.

However, USB serial is unfortunately many different protocols. There are at least four commonly used: CDC-ACM, FTDI, Prolific, CH340. From the wording in your question, I'm guessing you probably do not know which protocol your Zigbee module uses.

If you use Linux or have access to a real Linux system (not running in a virtual machine, but running natively on hardware), can you please run "tail -f /var/log/syslog" and then plug your USB device in, and post the lines the kernel prints as it detects the USB device. That info will really help to understand which protocol you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back