alternatives to the MK20DX256VLH7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougm

So I have an integrated teensy project, and I recently wanted to do another run only to find that the MK20DX256VLH7 is out of stock and not available until early next year (like March).

If anyone has a secret source for these please PM me :)

Otherwise, is it possible to use an alternate processor in the same MK20DX256 family? like the 80 pin processor (MK20DX256VLK7)? Would everything work if I just used the same pin mapping and ignored the extra pins?

Thank you,

DougM

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you can't get the chips. Digikey is showing 1430 chips arriving October 27. Maybe worthwhile to get an order in for some of those?

Regarding the 80 pin chip, I simply do not know. It hasn't been tested. Odds are good it will work. But if it doesn't work, PJRC isn't going to do anything to support it. Definitely build a quick prototypes for testing if you try it.

Also beware of very old chips on the gray market. At least 2 people have reported finding very old 1N36B revision chips that turned out were mostly defective parts. This chip has been at rev 3N36B for years.

I've got essentially the same issue. I didn't find that the 80 pin model was any more available than the original. So looking at "plan B".

I've got a project where we are planning to build about 300 boards, if our Kickstarter funds :) You can see it here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thendlr/the-ndlr-a-multi-part-polyphonic-arpeggiator

We are currently using Teensy LC, but started developing on Teensy 3.2 for more RAM, and floating point, I/O, Flash and headroom for future features. The plan is to put the SoC down on our board along with the MK04.
The issue is, with the shortage of K20s until sometime in Q1, we are very concerned about supply. Maybe 300~400 units wouldn't be too big an issue but until we secure them it's a big risk.

So back to "Plan B": could we use a MKL26Z256VLH4 with MK04? Its the same footprint as Teensy LC only with more RAM and Flash. I'm thinking, if it will theoretically work, we would test it by removing the current SoC from a Teensy LC and replacing it with the one above. I just don't want to smoke an LC if its known to fail.

Thanks,
Darryl

Sadly, that's very unlikely to work.
Thank you for the heads-up on that Paul. I was hopeful the answer would be similar to the previous poster, "Odds are good it will work." but no support...

Do you plan to be at the Dorkbot meeting on Monday? Maybe we'll see you there. We'd like to thank you in person for the great work you've done that has made our project possible!

Darryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back