Contacts for underside pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple projects in the future that may involve using pads at the bottom of the Teensy 3.6 board, but I don't want to have the contacts soldered as that would be messy and require extra tools.

I've been looking at some spring contacts to touch the pads and wasn't sure if you guys had a particular part you recommend for this application. Basically the idea would be to add and remove the teensy without having to solder/desolder anything (after the board is constructed, of course)

Something like these:

GyOiu.jpg

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0932-0-15-20-77-14-11-0/ED90345-ND/1873758

While POGOs are a popular way to access bottom pins on a Teensy there are breakouts that expose most or all the pins in a DIP fashion, which can then plug into a breadboard or sockets on a custom board.

If you are using a Teensy 3.1 or a 3.2 this may be a good option: https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/ttl7D5iT

There are others, check out JBeale's sticky thread at the beginning of this category. Lots of good stuff there...

Think it also depends on the application you are looking at for them. I am using a custom breakout board that mirrors the footprint of a Mega, https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/43353-New-Teensy-3-2-3-1-shield?p=147450&viewfull=1#post147450, so I can use some of the Arduino type shields with the T3.5. For me they may work better to soldering the underside pins like I am doing now. While the board was designed for a T3.5 I could use a T3.6 on it as well, just have to remember there is a T3.6 on it ;).

Sockets are SS-132-TT-2-N Pins are TS-132-T-A
P/N's given are for tin plate. I have a stash of these pins in gold so I hope I've given you correct numbers.
Upper pin is 0.025" and lower part of pin is 0.018" diameter. The shoulder is about 0.053" high overall length of pin is 0.477".
The socket tops protrude about 0.03" above the strip and receive the 0.018" pin height above the board is 0.176". Caution - I've erroneously found some pins that are 0.025" diameter on both ends.
I've done several 'mixes' of varied heights of Mill-Max Pogo's along with various height Samtec pins to obtain even lower profile arrangements although I have not used them yet.

Tried to find the rated number of insertion/removal cycles or mechanical life for these machine sockets with no luck. A couple of others I found were rated for 100 and 500 cycles. Also, when there are more than a few pins, it can take a pretty extreme force to separate them.

I'm glad to see you agree with my intentions of making it that way. My Teensy projects are not ones that have a short lifetime. I use a screwdriver or piece of PCB material to pry them apart, carefully, when I have to. The retention friction of those socket pins holds the POGO's in contact with the underside pads. Oh and to make the POGO's stand straight and tall, I make a holder board for them and hand press the POGO's into it so the barbs hold them in place until its soldered. This is a lot of extra work and cost for a socket, but thus far it has served my needs well.

Most of the pads on the bottom of the Teensy match the expected pad pattern for SMD dual-row pin headers.
Thus, you could solder pin headers to the bottom pads, just like you already have to solder pin headers to the DIP pads along the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back