Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Opus codec library

Opus codec library

Forgive me for my newbieness but is the reason for there not being an opus or speex library available for Teensyduino? Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to use a teensy 3.2 for this purpose? I'm familiar developing for Linux based systems, though this is my first micro controller project.
    If it's the case that simply no one attempted it yet, if anyone has a good starting point I don't mind giving it a try.

The project:
    I'm looking to encode audio at around 16kbs for transmission across a wireless link for post processing.

Short answer is that nobody has needed one. Would certainly be possible but at some point with audio processing, especially if the end point is ethernet it's quicker to use a Linux SBC and an off the shelf library to get it done and I think that's where most people ended up, even though the up front hardware cost is larger.

Looking at a similar project I tried the queue object in the audio library

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gui/?info=AudioRecordQueue
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/45788...-queue-example

Which does allow you to get audio data into/out your code without writing a custom object. Do be aware that to run on a micro controller the audio library hard codes a number of things like sample rate and size which may not fit your needs for onforwarding, hence the trend to use SBC for this sort of thing despite the other problems they bring.

Interesting, I suppose with something like the pi zero the path of least resistance is too tempting! But where's the fun in that ! I'm going to have a go to see if I can make a library anyway, there seems to be library tutorials using the arduino ide. Hopefully I'll learn something along the way.

For what it's worth, the library part isn't too much of a hassle, the meaty part will be getting your audio data into the code and processing it within the constraints of a micro controller.

Speex has been on my long list of "look at it someday" audio stuff. I believe you're the first person to actually mention it.

I've never heard of the opus codec before.

If you're going to try adding to the audio library, which can be done as a separate lib too, start here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_...ewObjects.html

@ paul, looking at the header here, Opus is supposed to be a successor.
    https://www.speex.org/
    Bigger, more powerful and more flexible may not be what one wants when implementing into a micro of course.

Opus is on my list, since a long time (mentioned it in the readme of my other codecs) ... if only the day had more hours...
    On the other hand, till now, nobody requested it.
    Last edited by Frank B; 09-02-2017 at 11:19 PM.

I've used opus on many sbc projects before and I'm always suprised when I mention it to folks how it's flown under a lot of people's radar especially with the results it achieves.

Just wondering whether I should begin this work or is there enough interest for one of the far more experienced guys to revise their excisting code?

Came across this thread and thought I'd express further interest.

I got the opus decoder to build in the Arduino IDE with a lot of include path hacks and file moves. What I can say is this:

First, it's hard to build. To decode opus, you need libogg, libopus and libopusfile. All three of them use autoconf but without the ability to add compiler flags to define macros I had to edit every source file that includes the auto-generated config.h (which BTW has to be generated by running ./configure on my computer and copied to the Arduino project). Also, libopus has headers in various directories, and without the ability to add include paths, I had to throw all the files into the same directory. I will wait until the Arduino IDE gets the ability to add extra include paths before trying to redo it properly.

Second, it uses quite a bit of RAM. I tested using op_open_memory which opens an opus file stored in an array. The lowest RAM usage I've seen from the op_open_memory call is 84k, but I've also seen it go higher than 128k and I don't know why. You need at least a teensy 3.5/3.6 to use it.

Speed wise, it's fine. Without any assembly optimizations (I deleted all the ASM so I don't have to deal with it), a teensy 3.6 at 180MHz can decode opus at about 5x speed.

Cool.. i ever wanted that, but never found the time.
    Do you have the encoder, too? Is the sampling-rate conversion working?

I deleted all the files that look like they're for the encoder to get something building sooner. The opus decoder doesn't have a sample rate converter. The opusfile docs recommend the speex resampler. I plan to just change the I2S registers to make the output run at 48kHz.