Ia anyone using the Fusion dual can shields or GPS shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit_Aristo

Is anyone using the Fusion dual can shields or GPS shield

I just got these for a project I am working on with the Teensy 3.6.

Issues:
The dual-CAN shield blocks the VBATT pin. Has anyone done anything creative to get around this? I am considering just soldering a piece of wire to the pin to get it out from under the shield.

The GPS shield blocks the reset button. I am not even sure how I can get around this. I quite often need to press the reset button and this is a real show-stopper for me.

Last edited:
Have you had a look at the pics on the product pages? I'm not sure how you'd get near the reset button, although you could move the whole board down of course (you might not want to pull the needed current from pins other than dedicated 3.3V pin as pictured).

G3HJNFql.jpg

There is really no universal way to design these boards. Everyone's project can be a bit different and I'd have to design a different board for each one.

Last edited:
Thanks Fyod!

I thought for some reason the GPS shield mounted in the same manner as the CAN shields.

You are the man, again! Thanks.

Got it. Thanks Fyod for the support.

I desoldered the wrong SMD.. then removed the correct one, soldered the one I removed back on, and gave it about 5 minutes. 12 locked satellites, position fix, and I guess my desk is moving at 1.06 kph! hahaha.

Greatly appreciate the messages! Glad it's sorted now.

Awesome!
Yep there might be slight deviations between positions, but that usually settles down the more sattelites get locked.

Is there a better, perhaps amplified antenna you would suggest?

I created a timer and whenever there is a power-down event, it's taking well over 5 minutes to even lock 3 satellites. The intention was to use this for speedometer, but starting the vehicle 10 minutes before it's to be driven is just a tad too long.

Going on an hour now after a reset and no satellites showing locked. The time updated to the proper date and time though, so there's that.

What are the use-case scenarios for this shield with a passive antenna? What are the options for an active antenna? None for me, I assume since I had to desolder that resistor.

Sorry I missed your previous message.
You should get a lock within two minutes or so, under good conditions (outside or window sill, fair weather).
It is hard to say what could be causing the delay as there is no feedback from the antenna other, than the signal itself.
If you choose to use an active antenna, all you need to do is use a 0ohm or 10ohm resistor in place of the one you removed.
Active antennas generally perform better, but are also more expensive ($8-12).

Sorry I missed your previous message.
You should get a lock within two minutes or so, under good conditions (outside or window sill, fair weather).
It is hard to say what could be causing the delay as there is no feedback from the antenna other, than the signal itself.
If you choose to use an active antenna, all you need to do is use a 0ohm or 10ohm resistor in place of the one you removed.
Active antennas generally perform better, but are also more expensive ($8-12).

Greatly appreciated Fyod. I'll order up an active antenna and see what kind of results I get.

I appreciate the support post-purchase and it's because of this that you will always be my go-to when it comes to modules for the Teensy such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back