Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Force Rebuild button - or : Buggy cache system

Force Rebuild button - or : Buggy cache system

Hi Paul,

can you add a "Force Rebuild" button to Arduino ? I know, the official Arduino team would be a better addressee, but we all know, that they ignore user-requests.
    I know Mr Banzi calls Arduino a "full IDE" but it's more a joke than IDE... instead improving it, it becomes worse.

The caching is buggy. It does not recognize changed #defines for libraries that are built before. It's very annoying and there's no way to tell the system that it needs to rebuild all.
    It leads to baffling situations.

Please add a "make clean". Or something similar.
    Last edited by Frank B; 09-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Yes, I believe they broke something starting with 1.8.2. It worked much better in Arduino 1.8.1. For now, if you're working on libraries I recommend using Arduino 1.8.1 to avoid long build times.

You can force a rebuild all by changing any of the Tools menu settings, like CPU Speed or Optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Yes, I believe they broke something starting with 1.8.2. It worked much better in Arduino 1.8.1. For now, if you're working on libraries I recommend using Arduino 1.8.1 to avoid long build times.

You can force a rebuild all by changing any of the Tools menu settings, like CPU Speed or Optimization.
    I second Frank.
    Paul, following your suggestions means twice full build, (twice going for a coffee) one moving away from desired configuration (say lower speed) and one to return to desired configuration (or do I misunderstand something?)

ALL IDE's I have worked with have a rebuild all, or clear option.

It would be nice to have 'Rebuild All' that just assures results you have come from current code - swapping Tools values back and forth is not always quick, or assured you either did enough or set everything back before clicking build. Does swapping CPU versus other items make any effort to rescan device specific libraries on a change? { a full scan is only done on startup AFAIK }

My system hasn't caught me recently in the few lib changes I've made they seemed to have been picked up - but maybe I do the Tools hacking at the right time. But the IDE change to stop always rebuilding all to 'perfect needed rebuild' has been fluid.