0.5 microsecond resolution Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmdm02

Hi all,

I am using Teensy 3.6 for my research project where I need timing features with accuracy down to 0.5 microsecond. The built-in micro() can only go to 4 microsecond resolution (same with arduino I guess) so I tried using another library called eRCaGuy_timer_counter (see link: http://www.electricrcaircraftguy.com/2014/02/Timer2Counter-more-precise-Arduino-micros-function.html) , which works fine with Arduino but cannot compile with teensy.

Here is the example code:

PHP:
//include the library
#include <eRCaGuy_Timer2_Counter.h>
[ATTACH]11524._xfImport[/ATTACH]
//Note: an object of this class was already pre-instantiated in the .cpp file of this library, so you can simply access its methods (functions)
//      directly now through the object name "timer2"
//eRCaGuy_Timer2_Counter timer2;  //this is what the pre-instantiation line from the .cpp file looks like

void setup() {
  //configure Timer2
  timer2.setup(); //this MUST be done before the other Timer2_Counter functions work; Note: since this messes up PWM outputs on pins 3 & 11, as well as 
                  //interferes with the tone() library (http://arduino.cc/en/reference/tone), you can always revert Timer2 back to normal by calling 
                  //timer2.unsetup()

//prepare serial
  Serial.begin(115200);  

//Output a header of info:
  Serial.println(F("Notes:"));
  Serial.println(F("micros() has a precision of 4us"));
  Serial.println(F("get_count() with unsigned long final data type has a final precision of 1us, and is fast"));
  Serial.println(F("get_count() with float final data type has a final precision of 0.5us, and is not quite as fast"));
  Serial.println(F("get_micros() has a precision of 0.5us, and is slower than the above 2 methods, so one of the above 2 methods is preferred"));
  Serial.println(F("=============================================="));
}

void loop() {
  //declare local variables
  static unsigned long t_start = timer2.get_count(); //units of 0.5us; the count accumulated by Timer2_Counter

//acquire time stamps
  unsigned long t_micros = micros();
  unsigned long t_T2_count = timer2.get_count(); //units of 0.5us; the count accumulated by Timer2_Counter
  float t_T2_micros = timer2.get_micros(); //us; the time value accumulated by Timer2_Counter (this is the exact same as doing timer2.get_count()/2.0;)

//See if 1.000003 seconds has elapsed.  If so, print out the time stamps. Note: I am using this elapsed time because I want it to NOT be divisible by 4, so that 
  //you can hopefully see the extra precision provided by the Timer2_Counter library, which the default Arduino micros() function does not have
  if ((t_T2_count - t_start)/2 >= 1000003) //if 1.000003 seconds has elapsed
  {
    t_start = t_T2_count; //update start time

//Print times using micros(), get_count(), and get_micros()
    //Demonstrate several ways of using these functions
    Serial.print("micros() = "); Serial.print(t_micros); Serial.println(" us");
    Serial.print("get_count() = "); Serial.print(t_T2_count); Serial.println(" (units of 0.5 us per count)");
    Serial.print("get_count()/2 = "); Serial.print(t_T2_count/2); Serial.println(" us");
    Serial.print("get_count()/2.0 = "); Serial.print(t_T2_count/2.0); Serial.println(" us");
    Serial.print("get_micros() = "); Serial.print(t_T2_micros); Serial.println(" us");
    Serial.println(""); //add an extra line space
  }
} //end of loop()

The error message (see attached file) stated that the timer is overflowed.

Would you please let me know if there’s a way to go around this? Or if there’s another function in Teensy that can go to this time accuracy? Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Minh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back