Uploading won't reset 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

keraba

I had a set-up (maybe last year?) where, after I hit Upload, it would reset the Teensy (3.6) and run the program. I had this running on a Linux laptop and a Raspberry Pi.

I just set-up Arduino (1.8.4) and the Teensy Arduino helper on a Chromebook running Crouton (a Linux_64 platform, not ARM) and this doesn't quite work. I've tested it with the LED blinking program. If I hit Upload, it will compile etc. but it won't run until I hit the reset button. When this happens, the Teensy loader program says, "Reboot OK."

I've googled for the diagnosis steps the get it working, but I keep hitting "wont reset at all", etc. kinds of issues. This is kind of a subtle difference. Any thoughts?

thx

Hi tonton,

Upload/reset worked the first time that I tried this, but doesn't work subsequently. :(

Hi Paul,

Yes, I copied that file to the usual place and rebooted, but Crouton is a chroot, so I'm not sure how well it plays nicely. However, I'm trying to understand how the file affects things. That is, if the arduino program can program the Teensy, it should just issue another command to reset the Teensy, no? If so, I'm not sure how a u-dev rule would affect help or hinder that.

[ update ]

I got it to work. I had noticed that the serial monitor wasn't working. I thought it was strange, since I'd added myself to the 'dialout' group but ignored it. Then I looked at the owning group for the serial port and it was 'serial'. I added myself to 'serial', rebooted and now both the serial monitor and upload-reset works.

So could be related to the group, or I forgot to do a reboot upstream ? Anyways, I'd love to understand the relationship of the udev file better, if you had time to write a word or two. Is adding myself to the groups superseding that?

In any case, Arduino Teensy development on a Chromebook. How cool is that?

cheers!

While Teensy is running whatever was previously programmed, sending the reboot request involves opening whatever device is happens to be (many options in Tools > USB Type). Then when it reboots into bootloader mode, Teensy Loader accesses it as a HID device, using usbfs on Linux. So the 2 parts are necessarily different, because as far as your PC is concerned, it was something, then the cable unplugs and reconnects moments later, and it reappears as something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back