WIZ820io adaptor power down

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_B

I'm using a WIZ820io adaptor board. I'd like to use the PWDN option because the system is going to be run from a battery. I've cut the trace between the pads on the board but I'm still getting continuity between the the centre and pad linked to pin9. Is there anything else that I have to cut in order to make this work? I've had a look, of course, but haven't been able to spot anything obvious, other than perhaps removing the left pad which seems a bit drastic.

Many thanks
David

Pin 9 connects to the reset chip.

On the version of this board where 3 pads are along the top edge, the canter of those 3 is the PWDN signal. The left side is pin 8 (not pin 9). The right side is GND.

Some versions of the board have PWDN shorted to GND. The newest versions has 2 pairs of pads on the bottom, and PWDN is always connected to GND. If you have one of those, the only option is to cut the wire or pin between boards and solder a wire from the pin you wish to use directly to the PWDN pin.

To be honest, I've personally never tried using the PWDN feature. I do now know if it even works (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's buggy, given the other issues Wiznet has and that fact they removed it from W5500). If it does work, I'm not sure what needs to be done with the chip when you go back to regular power mode.

If you do get it working, I hope you'll share anything you learn along the way.

Hi Paul. Thank you for the detailed response. That tallies with what I'm finding at this end.

I was able to shut the chip down in early testing before I started using the adaptor board. I haven't tried restarting it yet. For my application I only need to use it once and will then shut it down to conserve power. I'll update progress when I get as far as restarting it!

Best
David

Did you ever achieve this? I have to face it now, but as Paul predicated I have buggy results getting it running after powering it back up.

Sorry, no. I only got as far as powering down then rebooting. Presumably you've tried doing a reset on the Wiznet? Does it help if you stop ethernet before you power down and restart it when you power back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back