MK20DX256VLH7 out of stock EVERYWHERE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

russdx

Any one know where to get this part in large volumes? Every where i have checked is out of stock with a 26week lead time (mouser,rs,farnell,digikey,futureelectronics etc...)

Need to make another batch of custom boards using this part but seems to be a worldwide shortage.

Is there another micro in the series (same pinout, 64pin etc..) that can replace it? Maybe more memory or more powerful?

Regards
Russell

Yeah, they're really hard to get right now.

We're offering up to 25 pieces to people who buy the bootloader chips. Email Robin for details. This is a very special circumstance and we want to help people building DIY projects or prototypes. But we don't have a huge number available without cutting into Teensy 3.2 production, so there's a limit of 25 pieces and we're handling the requests on a case-by-case basis instead of just putting up a public page to buy the chip.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

That octopart figures do not match the actual stock of each site sadly :(

But farnell are getting quite a few in far sooner then 26 weeks now which is good.

That is a very nice offer Paul :)

Regards
Russell

It's not just NXP, it's a thing across the semiconductor industry. Microchip, STM, Fairchild/ONsemi etc. We're seeing the wake of the big mergers from the last few years and the corresponding product line rationalisation, just while the market is entering an uptake period and most manufacturers haven't invested in capacity expansion for almost a decade. There is almost no slack in the supply chain, and most volumes go from manufacturer directly to integrator. Only some 'excess' capacity goes to distributors, so demand increasing with just a couple of percent can lead to huge lead times at the distributors. Expectation is it will remain this way at least till the end of 2017.

I've already put down my down payment with my fabricator only to learn that they can't source those parts. Not really sure what to do now.

At the beginning of the year the lead time on this part was about 8 weeks. In the last few months it jumped to 26 weeks! The increase in lead time has made production planning very challenging. Like Paul mentioned earlier, we have a limited amount of stock and we will do what we can to help people who have purchased bootloader chips.

I'm dealing with this issue now, is there anywhere in the world this is still in stock?

I think we need to move to our own inventory so we don't have this issue in future...

At the beginning of the year the lead time on this part was about 8 weeks. In the last few months it jumped to 26 weeks! The increase in lead time has made production planning very challenging.
It's my estimation that people saw that 26 week lead time and freaked out. Come February, if they sell out again, there's a genuine shortage. If not, then I suspect it's just people trying to play it safe.

What it looks like is the 64LQFP package is out everywhere (Mouser has 8500 on order at end of Feb - otherwise lead time is now showing 39 weeks).

However there is some stock on bigger QFPs and BGA packages (some with varying flash/ram levels). Largest stock seems to be 121 BGA. Unit price is higher on BGAs.
All: https://octopart.com/search?q=MK20DX256
BGA: https://octopart.com/search?q=MK20DX256VM

With the ever increasing lead time, this may be an indicator to move off LQFP (or locate a superseding compatible part).

Guys I found some in China but I don't know if they are real or not... Here is the link if you want to try and order, they are charging almost 8 bucks a chip plus you will have to pay shipping. Which puts that at about $10.00 a chip, I have a charcoal grill controller that I was about to kickstart, but this shortage makes me think that I should wait. The MK20 is a good product I just hope NXP doesn't kill it off, because then I will have to go back to the drawing board. Anyways look here if you do pull the trigger let me know if you ever received any product. But $10.00 is a high price to pay for these chips.

http://www.kynix.com/Detail/67578/MK20DX256VLH7.html

Guys I found some in China but I don't know if they are real or not... Here is the link if you want to try and order, they are charging almost 8 bucks a chip plus you will have to pay shipping. Which puts that at about $10.00 a chip, I have a charcoal grill controller that I was about to kickstart, but this shortage makes me think that I should wait. The MK20 is a good product I just hope NXP doesn't kill it off, because then I will have to go back to the drawing board. Anyways look here if you do pull the trigger let me know if you ever received any product. But $10.00 is a high price to pay for these chips.

http://www.kynix.com/Detail/67578/MK20DX256VLH7.html

I was looking to buy from them, but then I searched "Kynix review".

Well like I said I did not buy anything from them, if it's too good to be true it must be. I would have only ordered a few chips to see if they were real, but my gut told me sleep on it and I did not ever hit the buy button. We will just have to wait, I did manage to snap up the last 5 in the USA in September. I had to bake the chips however there cards were pink. However after cooking them they all worked so no complaints there, plus I only paid 5.50 for 5 of them so I was happy.

Take care when ordering old stock MK20DX256VLH7 , we got 150pcs and then when the boards arrived we discovered that whilst they were genuine they were faulty. The old batch with the prefix 1N (2012 stock) that Freescales has reported as faulty with problems with the USB. Need less to say the entire board has been reject with no solution. We are now in the process of resolving with a different processor. Hopefully not to many others have been caught with this problem.

Please take care, as this has been very disruptive to our business.

Yes, I would advise anyone buying these chips to only accept chips with batch code 3N36B.

PJRC does have some extra chips. If anyone is *really* stuck and needs a relatively small quantity, contact Robin directly.

Your Teensy product and support has been great, we are disappointed that we will be moving due to supply issues that we cant wait 3-5 months.

I could imagine that Paul would, in case of him running out of his Teensy 3.2 stock, bring quickly a drop-in replacement to market. I think he is pretty much aware of the many current and future Teensy 3.2 based projects and he will probably not drop his clients.
Another thought could be switching over your T3.2 based projects to the Teensy 3.5 which has for only 4.45$ or 22.5% more, ways more speed, memory, an FPU and more integrated peripherals. Thus it is basically even cheaper, seen the improved hardware which you get for your money. Sounds like a good plan B, doesn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back