Control IOs from your Mac or Windows computer (Wirekite)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manuelbl

We all like to write code running on microcontrollers for electronic projects that might even run from batteries. But sometimes we'd rather wire inputs and outputs directly to our Mac or Windows computer and run the software there. Wirekite let's you do just that: Connect your analog and digital inputs and outputs (incl. I2C) to a Teensy LC or 3.2, connect the Teensy via USB to a computer and run the software there.

I've written the code that you install on the Teensy board once as well as a .NET library for Windows and an Objective-C / Swift library for macOS that you use in your own software. So if you ever need to acquire and log data directly to your computer, control a servo from your computer or otherwise bridge the world of desktop computers and microcontroller, check out Wirekite.

Supported inputs / outputs / protocols
  • Digital input
  • Digital output
  • Analog input
  • PWM output
  • I2C
Supported boards
  • Teensy LC
  • Teensy 3.2
Supported environments
  • C# / Visual Basic .NET for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher
  • Objective-C or Swift (3.0) on macOS
Next on the list is SPI...

Interesting. Did a much less complete version of Firmata-like stuff last year after the factory techs insisted on blowing up $$$ per month of test equipment. Built about 10 of these where the USB port was floated and isolated from the computer. Blowing a $50 Teensy board no problem where the resultant loss of computer and test equipment is 2 to 4 orders of magnitude greater cost. The main reasons mine was derived from the firmata stuff was (1) Python and (2) time and (3) Linux. But your Swift and VC looks just fine. Please continue and maybe someone will be inspired to revive and re-design the Firmata system.

Your use cases for your clever stuff are:
1. virtual test instruments without the NI madness and expense and proprietary stuff.
2. rapid test stack prototyping where GPIB or ethernet not used.
3. preservation of expensive test equipment.

The four dead units on desk are on the 'alter' of honor, for those that gave their very silicon to a greater cause and went to that great wafer fab in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back