Smoker Temperature Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cheap smoker that I bought which just has a 1500W heating element and a plug. It seems to be optimized for a 3 or 4-hour roast of a large roast or turkey and not very useful for much else.

Not knowing the default temperature range I decided to smoke some jerky and treated it like a Little Chief, left it overnight expecting that I could just check on it periodically throughout the next day. I found charred black things the next morning :(

Being a geek I thought, this is a nice job for a Teensy LC :) I did some fiddling around with the thermistor Beta-parameter equation on a spreadsheet to optimize my calculations to the 100 F to 300 F range and then got that working with an ADC input on the Teensy.

Last night I used my Teensy, a 16x2 LCD and a thermistor to guide my 9-year-old daughter through a science experiment in measuring the boiling and freezing temperature of water...and got some calibration data in the process. I was impressed that right off-the-block without calibration it was within 2 degrees of the boiling point and within 1 degree of the freezing point. This agrees reasonably well with my spreadsheet predictions by tweaking the thermistor nominal values by 3%. Math really works! AND...it's good enough for a smoker even if I don't calibrate it.

So now with a 30A contactor, a solid-state relay (optical isolation from contactor 120V coil), Teensy and LCD I have almost everything in place to smoke meat. Was turning a desk lamp on and off using a pot to emulate a change of temperature on the ADC -- all systems are "go".

I have not yet uploaded project photos, but I did scan in my hand-drawn schematic and upload the code to github. I have a sneaking suspicion I have reinvented the wheel that has been reinvented many times already, but why not share it anyway? Maybe I did it in a way that "just clicks" for somebody out there.

This is all in the vein of "There are multiple right ways to do something, pick one of them. [quote = me]"

The education value in playing with the thermistor manufacturer data and Steinhart-Hart/Beta parameter equations was great.

Anyway, the project is mature enough to start sharing progress. Hopefully by this weekend I will have it buttoned up enough to do a roast for a Saturday night meal. I'll post some photos when everything is assembled. I'm willing to post instructions/howto if there is any interest. Otherwise this will just be a "this is what I'm doing with Teensy" thread.

I won't waste space here with stuff -- everything I'm doing is here on github:
Teensy_Smoker_Controller

Thanks to Paul and all other contributors to the Teensy and Arduino ecosystem. Earlier on in my planning I was undecided whether to use an MSP430 USB stamp or a Teensy. The Teensy won because the library support made this into a very straightforward implementation. Makes me feel the money I spend on Teensy boards is well-appropriated :)

Cool project. I've been thinking of creating the same.

Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested in seeing what others are doing.

Here are a few photos of work-in-process:
DSC02678.JPG

DSC02681.JPG

Contactor wired into 3-prong outlet so this can be a more general-purpose "smart" outlet switch when I'm not using it for a smoker.
Re-programming the Teensy can turn it into any general-purpose outlet switch. It's pretty easy to connect other types of sensors in the event some other inspiration strikes.
DSC02680.JPG

First test with working code and finished hardware. Still some weatherproofing/weatherproof cover needed over the outlet and control interface.

Get your popcorn and soda. It's 59 seconds of pure suspense :p

I think I can put a laundry basket over it outside and go try to smoke something now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back