Dual Audio Adaptor Boards with 23LC1024 RAM chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

chordnerddk

Sorry if I'm not asking this in the correct category. I'm all new to this forum and somewhat new to the Teensy boards, although I have already made a couple of successful smaller projects.

I'm now building a project with a Teensy 3.6 + two Audio Adaptor Boards, incl. memory chips (23LC1024)

Followed the quad channel audio guide on Sparkfun (using pin 38 on the Teensy instead of pin 30), and all input+output channels work. I intend to use the board as a multi-purpose audio/music workbench, and I figured I would need a couple of seconds of delay, so I soldered on a memory chip on each audio adaptor board (not easy with my bulky soldering iron).

I thought I had it all figured out, but now I realize that I probably messed up - am I right to believe, that having memory chips on both audio adaptors will not work, because they use the same (MEM)CS ?

I haven't tested that part of the setup, as I am worried that it will damage the chips. Can I just manually cut the connection somewhere between pin 6 an the pull-up resistor, and perhaps solder a wire to the 23LC1024 pin 1 (CS) pad and redirect it to a different pin on the Teensy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,
am I right to believe, that having memory chips on both audio adaptors will not work, because they use the same (MEM)CS ?
Yes !
I haven't tested that part of the setup, as I am worried that it will damage the chips.
No need to worry, this will not happen. But it will not work, maybe.

Can I just manually cut the connection somewhere between pin 6 an the pull-up resistor, and perhaps solder a wire to the 23LC1024 pin 1 (CS) pad and redirect it to a different pin on the Teensy?
Yes, sounds like a plan :) Just cutting the pin between the boards might be the easiest ?

Yes, you can cut that connection and connect it to other pins (see Audio System Design Tool, under "AUDIO_MEMORY_MEMORYBOARD").

I don't have a memory chip in hand and I have a different I2S audio adapter/codec so I can't test and give you an idea about the programming part.

...and buy a better iron. You will need it, sooner or later, and you'll be happy if you have a better iron, then...
Its basic equipment. Like a multimeter. x-mas is near...

Thank you for your very quick replies. I wish I had consulted the forums earlier - I haven't been able to find this particular elsewhere, but I would have known about Frank's memoryboard. Oh well, I think the two chips will do, when I "adapt" the wiring and code a bit :)

Actually the iron is brand new, after my trusty old one broke after some 25 years of service, but for some reason the tip on the new one is already almost worn out, even though I have hardly used it and clean it properly. It has a threaded base, and I can't seem to find such a replacement tip around - I guess a better iron will be on this year's wish list then :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back