Help with some UART raw transmit code

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn

Hello. I'm trying to transmit some serial data from within an ISR. My issue is that when I send, say an array of a dozen or two dozen bytes, what comes out the serial port, as measured by a logic analyzer, is not quite the same as what I'm sending. Differences occur at the 7th byte and then every 2-4 bytes after that. For example, if I send
Code:
01 02 03 04 05 06 18 08
Out comes:
Code:
01 02 03 04 05 06 04 08

Here is my code:
Code:
void uart0_tx(const uint8_t *b, int len) {
  if (len <= 0) {
    return;
  }

// Enable transmission
  UART0_C2 = UART_C2_TE;

while (len > 0) {
    // Wait for space to be available
    while ((UART0_S1 & UART_S1_TDRE) == 0) ;
#ifdef HAS_KINETISK_UART0_FIFO
    do {
      UART0_D = *(b++);
      len--;
    } while (len > 0 && UART0_TCFIFO < 8);
#else
    UART0_D = *(b++);
    len--;
#endif  // HAS_KINETISK_UART0_FIFO
  }

// Wait for transmission complete
  while ((UART0_S1 & UART_S1_TC) == 0);

// Disable transmission
  UART0_C2 &= ~UART_C2_TE;
}

This feels similar to what serial1.c is doing when sending bytes. Can anyone spot anything I'm doing wrong?

Normally I read the S1 register before I write anything into the D register.

Example if you look at Serial1.c... In the interrupt function you will see:
Code:
		do {
			if (tail == head) break;
			if (++tail >= SERIAL1_TX_BUFFER_SIZE) tail = 0;
			[COLOR="#FF0000"]avail = UART0_S1;[/COLOR]
			n = tx_buffer[tail];
			if (use9Bits) UART0_C3 = (UART0_C3 & ~0x40) | ((n & 0x100) >> 2);
			UART0_D = n;
		} while (UART0_TCFIFO < 8);

Adding code that checks the UART_S1 register before each write to UART_D causes no transmission to happen. Changing UART_TWFIFO to 0 also causes no transmission. I think when working with a FIFO, UART_S1 does not need to be checked before sending each byte. It is my belief that my original code is correct.

I even tried disabling TXFE to emulate having no FIFO, and that doesn't seem to work either.

I'm stumped. Basically, my summary is this: The bytes being sent to UART_D aren't the same bytes that appear on the TX pin, when measured by a logic analyzer. Only some of the bytes are wrong and not all of them.

Last edited:
A detail I didn’t add: I’m connected to some RDM-capable Enttec hardware. Maybe there’s something electrically wrong. My next test will be to just test my serial transmit code by itself with nothing hooked up.

Here is an update: With just the serial TX code and nothing connected and no other code running, I'm seeing the correct bytes appear at Serial1 via a logic analyzer. It must be something to do with being connected to another device. I'll update more as I continue to try to figure this out...

Would be easier to just use the perfectly working teensyduino version.. or to adapt it to your - whatever system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back