Teensys CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want bulk legitimate Teensies cheap you talk to Robin at PJRC or your local seller https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23601-Official-Distributors, and expect to pay pretty much the web store price given there isn't much margin between the parts cost and the sale cost, but shipping a bulk order out the door puts only one set of handling charges on which you can haggle over if you are talking 100s.

If you want counterfeits then this is a pretty crass way of doing it.

edit - re going the counterfeits - many of them work but if you haven't met bottom of the barrel electronics before you need to think long and hard about how the following will impact whatever your project is:
No QC at factory- you will need to manually test and discard everything you buy, assume a 10% dead on arrival and factor the time to do this before assembling into your project (possibly building a test jig)
Different bootloader (but pretends to be a teensy)- Will work for some code some of the time, in particular seems to be able to overwrite itself and brick without warning
Recycled parts - many bottom end parts have had a life (and abuse) before you get them
IC failed QC - part works but failed a soak test, more likely to randomly crash - often mixed in with 'real' parts
IC old or test stock - part does not have features/work as data sheet says it does in all particulars
No corrosion protection - need to use board quickly and with more solder flux
Absent or out of spec protective components - 0ohm resistors are cheaper than PTC fuses, and it only matters when something had already gone wrong...
mixed models/designed - not all parts may be the same layout/size - complicates rest of design to allow for.

If this is a single purpose art project thing then maybe the above makes sense (can be an interesting learning experince). If this is a product you have any sort of warrenty or liability for you need to think about just what you are doing.

Last edited:
Email Robin directly about possible quantity discounts.

Sparkfun & Adafruit offer discounts. You might try contacting them for details.

OSH Park offers a discount price, even for only 1 piece. I'm not sure if they still sell them separately or only when you order a PCB.

I have 12 Teensy 3.2s I will sell for $150 New, 2 opened (in bag), rest still taped in anti static bags. One sketch run on 2 once for less than a minute.
complete with Pinout cards

Ordered from OSHPark on 23 Jan, shipped by OSH on 26th Jan, received today on 1st Feb with no customs or vat charges.
I would have gladly paid Paul his price for the parts but NOT the very expensive postage charges and resultant Customs/Vat duties.
Buying from Paul would have cost me an extra $35, almost the cost of the goods again.

I bought 3 X Teensy 3.2 from OSHPark including shipping for $54 delivered me in the UK.
If I had ordered from PJRC the same would have cost me $103 delivered.
If PJRC match OSHPark on shipping and customs declaration I would much rather use PJRC.

Suspect PJRC structures the price of the bootloader ICs they sell to OSH park such that the walk away pretty much even what with not having to wrangle shipping etc. Trick would be to convince a fab house inside the EU to do a run, since nobody wins on international shipping.

Suspect PJRC structures the price of the bootloader ICs they sell to OSH park such that the walk away pretty much even what with not having to wrangle shipping etc. Trick would be to convince a fab house inside the EU to do a run, since nobody wins on international shipping.

On should not ignore the testing that PJRC does for all Teensies!
I did a quick check on PCB-Pool.com (Germany) that is my 'preferred' PCB production site that provides also assembling for small amount of units <=50 (more units are possible but not quoted online)

without component costs and shipping
50 units 16 x 35 mm board size 4 layer assembled with 25 SMT components total cost 638.73 Euro (VAT included) or 536.75 Euro (VAT excluded)
50 units 16 x 60 mm board size 4 layer assembled with 35 SMT components total cost 895.84 Euro (VAT included) or 752.81 Euro (VAT excluded)

There is a price jump for assembling more than 25 components

The rest is business risk.

Sorry, PJRC simply can't use the higher volume shipping service OSH Park uses. They ship a large number of lightweight packages for PCBs, which lets them use a service we can't get. It's really that simple. Well, except the cost structure of those services tends to be complex. Substantial fixed costs, then mostly billed by total weight of all packages shipped at the same time, with low incremental per-package cost. You need to ship a large number of lightweight packages, which is why it works for OSH Park, and also why they don't offer any heavier items like USB cables.

The Teensy boards they're selling are genuine, so no worries about buying from OSH Park. Laen, Dan & Kelly are really awesome people too! :)

Standard international postal rates here in the USA are horrible.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, Could you not do a deal with OSH Park to handle your International ( and possibly National ) mail for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back