teensy 3.6 is getting hot and not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abadi alali

I am working with a teensy 3.6 and I am just connecting it to control some switches and the AD9850 DDS and using one of the two internal ADCs. this is not the first time this happens, I thought I was doing something wrong at first but now I am pretty sure I didn't do anything but it is being recognized by the PC and it heats up (I guess it's an inductor that comes from Vin and goes to the regulator).

What could be the reason for that?! any ideas!!

it heats up (I guess it's an inductor that comes from Vin and goes to the regulator).

Maybe you're talking about the small white part? That's a PTC "fuse". It's supposed to heat up and increase resistance if the board draws far too much current from the USB. The higher resistance helps reduce the total current, (hopefully) keeping the wires from burning.

What could be the reason for that?! any ideas!!

Generally there are 2 possible reasons.

1: Something you've connected is consuming far too much current.

2: The parts on Teensy may be damaged, to the point one of them is drawing far too much current.

The first step is to disconnect all the other circuitry and see if the Teensy works again.

yes I believe it is the fuse. I did disconnect it and it is still not working and it heats up once I connect it to the USB. Is there any way of fixing this!?

since it is not the first time so I would guess it is something I am connecting maybe the AD9850 (I am using the module for that which is connected directly to the teensy) but could it be an external thing then it damages the internal parts or is there any isolation?!

yes I believe it is the fuse. I did disconnect it and it is still not working and it heats up once I connect it to the USB. Is there any way of fixing this!?

since it is not the first time so I would guess it is something I am connecting maybe the AD9850 (I am using the module for that which is connected directly to the teensy) but could it be an external thing then it damages the internal parts or is there any isolation?!

How _exactly_ do you connect the AD9850 ?

directly using those pins

W_CLK_PIN = 6;
FQ_UD_PIN = 7;
DATA_PIN = 9;
RESET_PIN = 10;
I am using the module in the below picture

dds-pins.jpg

VCC is 5V, and GND is connected to the ground. I am just using the lesft side of the module and taking the sine-wave from pin 1.
I would attach a photo but it is on a breadboard and won't be so clear.

thats all from the module and I am also connecting 3 switches to pins 1,2,3 and using the ADC from pin 23 (A9)

The T_3.6 is not 5V tolerant. Are any signals or wires from the "AD9850 DDS" sending signals over 3.3V? That will destroy the T_3.6 at some point.

Can the 'AD9850 DDS ' run at 3.3V?

I believe the AD8950 is not sending any data to the controller but it might be drawing some current. I have just double checked and it can work with 3.3V and I will connect it like that and hopefully, this won't happen anymore.

You'll want to unhook everything and try uploading some BLINK code and then test any pins that were connected to be working. Any voltages higher that T_3.6 tolerance from data or other pin may have left it unusable.

if your READing from the module thats powered at 5V, for SURE its gonna go straight to the pin of teensy
ONLY if the datasheet specifies the outputs to be 3.3v or based on the input power to the chip will be output

power them both from 3.3v and you need to get another teensy as im pretty sure yours is fried

Thanks a lot, everyone, I have already ordered a new one and I hope it was only caused by the tolerance and this won't happen again.

if you had a teensy 3.5 you wouldnt have had this issue as its 5V tolerant
teensy 3.6 is 3.3V only
just letting you know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back