Standalone Answering Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

letNic

Hi, this is my first post here, so greetings and all my respect for the community! (Also, sorry for my English, not my mother tongue )...

Go

I’m doing a project that basically is a phone who will be installed in a public area. But this phone is not connected to any phone provider, etc.

So when someone lift the phone, a Home Message is heard, then the “classical” Beep and then the user can leave a voice message (max 1 min each).

I have the constraint to have the Home Message on a media like a SD card or a USB key, and the incoming users messages on another one. There’s a reason for that, I can explain if needed. So I know I need at least two USB || SD ports.

That’s almost it. Do you think it’s feasible? Complicated??

Since I’m pretty new to Teensy, I’m not sure which board to buy exactly for this project. I thought the new 3,5 or 3,6. There’s also the Audio board, which I’m wondering if it is a shield or not - if it can be use alone?

I’m more familiar with Arduino, but I’m impress by the Teensy environment and possibilities!!

Well, hope all this is comprehensible.

Your help is welcome!

Thanks

A teensy 3.2+audio PCB should can do much of what you want. What is a complication is USB storage. For various reasons that has challenges so if that and simple file managment is a critical feature then a PI class single board linux computer may be a better choice.

If looking at what is possible suggest installing arduino+teensyduino
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html
and have a look at file->examples->Audio
especially the recorder functions.

That may give you some idea of complication and how this would be structured.

If 2 SD cards are needed, a Teensy 3.6 (which has one built in) plus the audio shield (which has another) could be an appropriate solution

If 2 SD cards are needed, a Teensy 3.6 (which has one built in) plus the audio shield (which has another) could be an appropriate solution

Thanks, I’ll probably do this.

I’ll leave some feedback!

@GremlinWrangler I installed Teensyduino, but it looks like I can’t do anything until I have a Teensy Board hooked up to it. Or maybe I’m not doing the right thing.

Main thing with the install of teensyduino is to have a look at the examples and see if they make sense, and maybe mod some stuff up and confirm you can write code that compiles. It's only a small step but you can do it before committing money to all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back