Sierra10.12.6 and Arduino IDE 1.8.4 do not alow for teensy USB port connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptophead

I just upgraded to sierra, but I am an experienced teensy user. I installed the Teensyduino 1.4 and it went well.

on the bottom of the IDE screen it sees the Teensy, on COM 1, that is weird (This is a MAC).

Then in the port selection I only see the bluetooth USB port, and nothing to connect the Teensy to.

In the "About this Mac- USB", teensy shows fine.

in the same IDE I am able to connect an MEGA just fine.

Please help,

Thanks, Mitch

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 10.36.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 10.36.09 AM.png
    9 KB · Views: 75
It is me again.
After re-booting a couple of times and using a different USB cable, the problem went away.

The correct port shows, and it uploads and Serial Prints fine...

Go figure

Thanks

on the bottom of the IDE screen it sees the Teensy, on COM 1, that is weird (This is a MAC).

It is weird. This is just default text. Arduino really should use a default like "no port selected yet", but they have "COM1" as the default text if you haven't selected anything.

Then in the port selection I only see the bluetooth USB port, and nothing to connect the Teensy to.

This is normal. Teensy uses HID protocol when in programming mode, and when running a program where Tools > USB Type wasn't set to Serial. All brand new Teensy boards are shipped with the LED blink example programming using RawHID. We do this because older versions of Windows are very bad about detecting a device without a pre-installed driver. So every Teensy starts using only HID protocol. It only becomes Serial when you program it. The programming process ignores the Port setting and just looks for the device automatically.

Yes, this is different from Arduino, where the board is always a serial device. Teensy supports much more than regular Arduino, as you can see if you click the Tools > USB Type menu. But if you just leave it set to Serial, then after you've programmed it once, things work pretty similarly to regular Arduino boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back