Teensy sized lipo battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I picked up a glass jar that I wanted to put a Teensy LC in along with some neopixels/ws2812b's, and I'm looking around for a lipo battery that I could use. The dimensions of the jar are 3" long and 0.7-0.8" wide. Most of the lipo batteries that I'm familiar with are too wide for the jar, or only have 100mah of power. A 600mAh would probably be fine (giving me maybe 6 hours of run time). Ideally, with any battery, the standard lipo chargers (the onehorse Teensy charger or the Adafruit pro trinket backpack charger) would work.

A 18650 battery will fit, but it is rather tight with a teensy and only one set of LEDs would fit in the jar.

One AA or two AAA batteries will fit, and I could use a current booster to get up to the 3.5-5.5v needed for neopixels. I figure rechargeable AAA's are around 800mAh and AA's are around 2200mAh, which would give me 3.5 hours of runtime on the AAA's and 4.5 hours on the AA's (assuming 90% efficiency conversion, 100mA power draw of the Teensy + LEDs).

Does anybody have suggestions of an appropriate sized battery to use?

Since you are talking about a glass jar... what about using a solar cell?

That won't work, the glass jar will be part of a costume prop, and mostly used indoors. What I want is it to run several hours without having to change the battery, and then at night I can recharge it for the next day. Thanks any way.

Hello,

what about one size smaller, a 26500 lion would that fit the bill,

regards, Otto
I was only familiar with the 18650's. I'll look into the 26500's (as long I can charge it with my nitecore 18650 charger). Thanks.

I use the 14500 batteries. These are 2000mAh:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIDNTRA/

I also have them in 1000mAh, but can't find the link right now.
Those look like they are the right size, and they come with a charger for a reasonable price. Thanks. While I'm sure most battery manufacturers mAh hours are inflated, having more charge is fine.

<edit>
From the comments, it looks like the 2000mAh capacity is wildly optimistic, and that it is more likely 600-800mAh (which what I expect for a small package). If I go with 14500's, I suspect I will go with a brand that offers a more reasonable capacity label.

Last edited:
MichaelMeissner said:
Those look like they are the right size, and they come with a charger for a reasonable price. Thanks. While I'm sure most battery manufacturers mAh hours are inflated, having more charge is fine.

Same size as AA.
BTW, you can use dummy versions (or just add wire in unused AA slots that are wired in series) to use these to replace AA batteries, and get much greater battery life.

In other words, You could replace 3 AA batteries with one of these.

One other thing, as you know be careful about charging.
I've gotten one of these for charging:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSQTSB8

Same size as AA.
BTW, you can use dummy versions (or just add wire in unused AA slots that are wired in series) to use these to replace AA batteries, and get much greater battery life.

In other words, You could replace 3 AA batteries with one of these.

Yeah, I just have to make sure I label these batteries, so I don't put them into something that expects AAA batteries that isn't prepared for more voltage, or I'm using dummy batteries.

One other thing, as you know be careful about charging.
I've gotten one of these for charging:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSQTSB8
I have this charger, which claims to be able to handle normal NIMH, NICD, 18650's, and other batteries, including the 14500:

In case it wasn't clear, that last link I gave was to an automatic timer for an electrical outlet. I plug the charger into that and set it to turn off the electrical outlet after 1,2,4,or 8 hours. You can also have it stay on, so you can leave it plugged in as a normal outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back