Best way to use a TRRS connector to get mic input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I've been working on a pitch-detection project for the past 2 months, and I've got it working. Code-wise, it's just relying on the Teensy audio library's pitch detection, so there's nothing fancy there. (At least, nothing fancy that I'm doing. I'm SO grateful for the audio library and the Teensy. Thanks, Paul!)

My first prototype was a Teensy 3.6 + audio board with mic, as I figured that'd be the easiest way to get started with the Teensy and to get mic input. Worked great!

My goal is for this to be portable/wearable, though, and I realized I didn't actually need the audio board for what I was doing, so my next attempt was a 3.2 without the audio board. And that worked beautifully too! (Added a SparkFun TeensyView too, which is super slick.) For the audio input, I used a mic like this one. 3 pins: vcc, ground, and input. Put the input in pin 16 and it worked beautifully.

Here's where I'm currently stuck, though:
I want to use a TRRS jack (say like this one), because I'd rather be able to use a headset/boom mic, or an earbud mic. But in order to do that, I'm going to need some sort of mic preamp, and that's where I'm looking for a better option.

What I've done for now is to clip the mic off one of the mic boards I got, then solder the TRRS board (sleeve (mic) and ring2 (ground)) in place of the original mic. That does work, so hooray there. But I feel like there's gotta be a better option, right?

Does anybody know of a TRRS board with a mic pre built in? Or something like Adafruit's little mic+pre, but without the mic? I can live with my "Frankenstein" approach, but I'm very much a newbie, and would love to know what more experienced folks would do in this situation.

Thanks for any advice!

Here's a pic of the TRRS connector connected in place of the original mic:
trrs for mic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back