Win10 USB Serial yellow triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bressler

I'm running Win10 64-bit and I've got a yellow triangle on my USB Serial. Weirdly, I can still program a Teensy 3.6, but the Arduino IDE Tools > Ports guy is grayed.

YellowTriangle.jpg

I have searched here quite a bit and have tried everything I found, such as Uninstall/unplug/plug-in-to-different-port, all to no avail.

The Event Viewer shows my attempts to reinstall, but ends with an event 430, which is:

Device USB\VID_16C0&PID_0483\2282240 requires further installation.​

Since I'm running Win10, serial_install.exe refuses to do anything. I tried using 7Zip to see if I could get the .inf & driver out of that exe but could not.

Any advice?

Windows 10 provides its own USBSER.INF, so DO NOT mess with other INF files. Things can only get worse if you go down that dark path!

The USBSER.INF file is already on your system, in a hidden "inf" folder inside the windows system folder. If you *really* want to get the INF, all you need to do is figure out how to access the hidden INF folder.

But perhaps just right-clicking in the device manager and asking it to update the driver would be enough.

Also, reboot. Always reboot with Windows! Seriously, do this first before messing with INFs and drivers.

Windows 10 provides its own USBSER.INF, so DO NOT mess with other INF files. Things can only get worse if you go down that dark path!

The USBSER.INF file is already on your system, in a hidden "inf" folder inside the windows system folder. If you *really* want to get the INF, all you need to do is figure out how to access the hidden INF folder.

But perhaps just right-clicking in the device manager and asking it to update the driver would be enough.

Also, reboot. Always reboot with Windows! Seriously, do this first before messing with INFs and drivers.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice. Sadly, I've done both of those things (update driver, and reboot) with no love. And yeah I used to work for MS so I do know the darkness of the .inf path. Anything else you can think of?

Maybe try one of the Something+Serial options in Tools > USB Type? That will have a different USB pid, which ought to cause Windows to do the new device install again. If it does, whatever you do, don't interrupt or cancel (or unplug or press Teensy's button or keep using Arduino) until Windows (perhaps very slowly) does its thing.

Or you could tell the Windows Device Manager to uninstall that device. Then unplug the cable, reboot, and when you're back up and running, plug it back in again. If you're lucky Windows will redo the device detection and get things right the 2nd time. Again, don't unplug, cancel, press the button or mess with Arduino while Windows does its thing, even if it seems to take a very long time.

Did anything work for you?

So many of these Windows problems end without any way to help others who get the same issue. Just wondering if there's anything useful learned that might help?

Basically I was getting nowhere, trying every technique (short of .inf hacking) that I could think of, to no avail. Then, last night, Windows installed the most recent Creators Update, which seems to have blown away a good sized section of the USB registry. And now everything works again. It's really pretty sad how screwed up USB seems to be on Windows, and that a system update could fix that, but I'm glad I don't have to remote into my laptop to program my Teensy anymore.

Thanks for your advice Paul!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back