Eclipse Arduino Download Manager for Teensy

brianmichalk

Okay, so my last Teensy project used 12 classes, and I really don't want to use the Arduino IDE anymore. I've tried various approaches, Sloeber, Jante, but there seems to be some issue or another that is annoying enough to cause me to drop back to the Arduino toolchain.
I'm starting a new project, and it looks like the Eclipse CDT has come a long way to support the IOT platforms, with Arduino included. However, there is no Teensy support. I'm just looking for an eclipse solution that works.

What is the best Eclipse environment Teensy toolchain solution?

Still Sloeber. Using it, too. To make it work with the Teensy boards, you have to have a parallel installation of the Arduino IDE, just as a container for the Teensyduino installation because the Teensy hardware info can't be just downloaded as for many other boards. That's not a Sloeber problem, but a decision from PJRC. Then, you have just to add the local hardware and lib path in the Sloeber settings. Takes 1 minute. Capture d’écran 2017-11-06 à 18.38.08.png

So, is there somewhere a nice step-by-step tutorial for installing and setting up this Eclipse / Sloeber? I’m really interested in moving from Arduino to a more sophisticated IDE. But, I’m definitely not interested in spending a lot of time dorking around hunting down and maintaining tool chains, etc. I just want to use the IDE, not dedicate my life to it.

All you need is downloading and installing Sloeber, and then add the paths as I showed in my previous posts. More is not needed, especially if you are used to working with workspace oriented IDEs.

This really seems like it's much easier now. With the new teensyduino, I'll have to give this a go. Especially since I switched to the new version of sublime and it's really sluggish on linux.

@Theremingenieur:

If you wouldn't mind giving a little guidance, I'd really appreciate it as this is very confusing.

So, I wanted to start my Sloeber Adventure with a clean install of the latest IDE and Teensyduino (1.8.5 / 1.40). But, I wanted to keep my old IDE installation for all my legacy projects. So I did a "portable installation" of the IDE per:
www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE
It's located right in the root folder of my D: drive:
Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg
I then installed Teensyduino and the ESP8266 package into the IDE.

Then, I installed Sloeber V4 -- at least I think I did, kind of a weird installation process. It's also in the root folder of my D: drive:
Pic3.jpg
Now I have this:
Pic4.jpg
Doesn't look like your picture. What are the magic incantations I need to put into these boxes so I can write sketches for Teensy and Adafruit ESP8266 Huzzah? What if I later want to add the Adafruit SAMD board?

Thanks for your time.

You are on Windows, I am on Mac... your last pic looks basically ok, for the hardware path you’d have to click on New and then browsing towards the folder (inside your Arduino installation) and adding the one containing the Teensy3 boards.txt file. Then, for the private library path the same, click New and add the Teensy3 lib path. Then, you should be done.

Can’t help for other boards since I’m working exclusively with Teensy, but basically, the procedure would be similar.

Naturally! As all professional developers know, Eclipse is open source and programmed in Java and rund thus on Win, Mac, and Linux. Sloeber is just a ready to install bundle comprising Eclipse v4 and Jantje’s famous Arduino plug-in for it.

Thanks for the help @Theremingenieur, I've managed to get Sloeber installed and configured -- including support for Teensy and ESP8266.

Now, if you don't mind, just one more question. You mentioned:

More is not needed, especially if you are used to working with workspace oriented IDEs.

Well, I'm definitely not. So, I'd like a little advice on keeping things organized. When using the Arduino IDE I often make subfolders in my main sketch folder. These enable me to group together related sketches or different versions of the same sketch in a hierarchical manner.

So, what's the equivalent of this hierarchy in the Eclipse world? Say I want to group together multiple versions of the same sketch so that I can always revert back to a previous one if I screw things up too badly along the way. Can I have multiple versions of the source code in the same project? Or, do I make a "sub workspace" under my main one and put an individual project for each version in there? What I'm trying to avoid is having a large, flat workspace structure that contains every sketch I've ever written all on the same "level". I prefer hierarchical organization.

Thanks.

PS - I've posted a similar question on the Arduino Other Software Development forum but have received no replies.

Sorry for the thread necro...
Long time listener, first time poster.
Just wanted to report that setting the paths per theremingenieur worked for me on Windows 10, Java 8, 64 bit, sloeber release 4.2

Thanks for the info.

Sorry for continuing an old thread, but I have a similar problem in that I need to use Teensy 4.0/1 with Arduino but a much better front end. Having read this thread and others and I am trying to install the Sloeber package. Here is what I am doing. I am leaving the Teensyduinoinstall until I have the basics of Sloeber working :

1. Download arduino-1.8.13-windows.zip and extract it into a new folder in the root of G:\
2. Create a directory called portable under the arduino directory and run arduino once to initialise the portable structure.
3. Download V4.3.3_win64.2020-04-23_11-36-51.zip and extract to a new directory in the root of G:\
4. Run sloeber-ide.exe in the Sloeber directory (tried as Admin too)

It gets a little way into the installation and then during the "Finishing the Installation" dialog, it fails with a dialog :
Problem Occured
Failed to configer sloeber
See Details for more info.

Pressing Details button opens a text pane under the dialog with the text :

Failed to configer Sloeber
Failed to install [DEPRECATED] Arduino mbed-enabled Boards
Failed to download "http://downloads.arduino.cc/cores/ArduinoCore-mbed-nonexistant.tar.bz2".
Failed to download url http://downloads.arduino.cc/cores/ArduinoCore-mbed-nonexistant.tar.bz2 error code is: 404

This problem rears its head many times in lots of duplicate error posts with no positive conclusion. Drilling to the root report, there is a reply by (I believe) one of the authors saying something like "I don't see what the problem is, this is a one off installation thing. Just make sure your project does not use the deprecated arduino board.". The problem of course is that if you can't install it you can't get as far as starting a project with any arduino board at all. I wanted to try the "Nightly" build to see if it helps, but I can only find it as an Eclipse plugin which is not a good place for me to go at the moment.

I am totally stumped on this. I would be very happy to hear of any ideas or solutions please. Thanks.

Optician

After much struggle with Sloeber and its maintainer, Jantje, I simply gave up. Now developing on platformIO inside VScode for almost 2 years. No regrets. It simply works, and not only for Teensy.

Well, you have saved me banging my head on the wall any longer. I've installed latest VS Code and PlatformIO. First impressions are very good. Seems a bit complicated to get your head round but it is very comprehensive. So easy just to add whole plaforms or choose from any embedded board you ever heard of. I have got one of my small Arduino programs Building without errors. I'm struggling with finding out where and how to point it at the Teensy 4.1 USB/serial COM port to upload the binary. I'm also intrigued that it defaults to J-Link. I bought a new J-Link just recently, but it is USB and platformIO seems to want an IP j-link. Onward.

Thank you so much, you've saved me a lot of grief and pointed me in a good direction.
Optician

And that was just a matter of adding :
upload_port = COM35
to the projects platformio.ini file. I imported a bigger project over, manual copied it's local libraries to the project lib directory, edited platformio.ini, and it compiled, uploaded and ran first go. PlatformIO is a very impressive piece of work, ans so much faster thab the Arduino IDE. Maybe a good decade faster at compilation. Thanks again for the pointer.

Optician

You are welcome. Perhaps, the Teensy upload scripts will one day learn from bossa (an open source tool to flash ARM MCUs), used by Arduino’s ATSAMD based boards and their clones how to auto detect the port where the beast hangs. Uploading to a Seeeduino XIAO goes without upload_port setting, at least on my Mac

TyCommnader finds all online Teensy units. When part of the build process it pops up a dialog to 'pick your Teensy' the first time that hex is uploaded - then on subsequent uploads of that hex it is associated with that Teensy and will go there unless the association is dropped.

Same HEX can go to multiple of the same Teensy in parallel. If same sketch is built for two Teensy models the filename has the #.# in the hex so it will associate to a T_3.6 and a T_4.0 or T_4.1 as chosen.

I've installed VScode on this new computer and was considering giving PlatformIO a trial but didn't look for the process to complete that yet? Not sure if it can use TyCommander for upload and SerMon as the IDE or current TSET commandline build on Windows can do.

If there are published steps needed with VSCode and GCC installed to link in PIO for Teensy I'd give them a try ...

Back