A argument for allowing counterfiets

annaoo

I wrote before about coming into contact with a Teensy counterfeit, which I only discovered after help on the forums [1]. It took me at least 4 to 8 hours of work before eventually coming to a solution. Now today I'm working with an older Teensy++ 2.0 board that I'm certain is not a counterfeit. This board I've had work just fine in the past, as far back as 3 years ago, but once again the teensy loader does not work. I'm assuming this is all because of the cat+mouse game teensy is trying to play to weed out the counterfeits. I understand that, but it appears to be adding overhead to legitimate users now as well. I'm bothered that I will now have to spend what could be a couple hours to a couple days trying to figure out what the right combination of software I would need to get this working again. Considering I'm trying to use the teensy to duplicate a project I did a couple years ago, I was not anticipating this new overhead and time dealing with teensy was not allocated in the budgting for this project. For me, and I'm sure others, that's new overhead time that wasn't there before and that I will probably try to find ways to resolve, which could include switching to a different prototyping ecosystem.

1. https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/4597...t-1-8-2-amp-Loader-gt-136?p=151603#post151603

just for informational purposes, please also list your IDE version, and teensyduino version, as well as pictures for the current teensy

Teensy loader 1.36 arduino 1.8.2

3B6F8290-D3A0-49C5-88AB-07614027090A.jpg 621B4623-673D-4EEF-882E-54E652A852AC.jpg

The voltage jumper on the back was installed by me

I've confirmed now that the Arduino compiles fine for it and that the board works by programming the blink sketch with Tytools Tycommand

I don't know why it's not working, but I can tell you I do test Teensy Loader with the oldest Teensy boards (which that one certainly is, from the very early days before we switched to gold plating and the better pushbutton).

Your assumption is incorrect. There has not been any anti-counterfeit measure which would interfere with that old board. Whatever is causing it to not work, it certainly isn't anything PJRC has done to thwart counterfeits.

I fact, I happen to have one of those very old Teensy++ 2.0 boards right here on my desk. I just plugged it in, and indeed Teensy Loader (1.41-beta which I haven't released yet) recognizes it just fine.

@annaoo : This from the last release notes. No attempt to break usage - just a courtesy note that the unit is not genuine - which can be important to know when it could be returned - or when coming to the forum for support . . .

Teensyduino History
Version 1.40
Support for Arduino 1.8.5
Show warning for certain counterfeit boards, but still allow upload

Back