Teensy 3.6 as USBMidi-to-SerialMIDI adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

XFer

Hello,
I'm looking to build an adapter which accepts a MIDI USB controller (keyboards like Akai LPK25 etc.), thus working as a MIDI USB host, and "blindly/transparently" forward all MIDI messages to a DIN-type MIDI OUT connector (which I'll hook up to MIDI hardware synths).
The goal is to play my old MIDI synths (no USB) from my USB keyboards, without a PC/Mac inbetween.

From what I gathered, I need a Teensy 3.6 (because it is USB host capable), a few components (MIDI female connector, a few resistors) and... which libraries? I've seen various MIDI and USB Host libraries, but I guess I'm a bit lost about which one I need.

Is there a similar project in the works already (code samples etc.), so I can save time (no need to reinvent the wheel)?

Thank a lot, guys

Fernando

I'm sure you could use a Teensy LC for this.
I just finished a Teensy LC MIDI controller. It takes 12 pushbuttons, 7 potentiometers and a rotary encoder and uses USB to plug into my laptop.
So.. you need MIDI usb and convert to MIDI DIN type?

I'm sure you could use a Teensy LC for this.

I think it's not possible, because for my project it has to act as a MIDI USB Host.
The LC can't do USB host: you can't connect USB midi keyboards to it.

uses USB to plug into my laptop.

Your project does more or less the opposite: acts as a MIDI controller, with your laptop being the MIDI USB host, let's say.

So.. you need MIDI usb and convert to MIDI DIN type?

Yes. It should just forward MIDI traffic from USB to MIDI DIN.
I already did it using a Raspberry Pi board, but it's a huge overkill (and drains battery too fast). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back