Teensy 3.6 Eagle Design Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

neltnerb

I'm trying to make the Eagle library for the Teensy 3.6 a little easier to work with by using the new Eagle Design Blocks.

The basic issue is that the existing library from James Carruthers looks beautiful but when I send it to a board assembler they get confused because it doesn't specify *unique* components for the female header I want to use for a socket.

The new Design Blocks lets me specify that there are three components (I made a simple version with only 2x 24-pin plus 1x 5-pin) which I have laid out on the PCB to exactly align with James Carruthers' version. Then I made the symbol for the part in three sections, left, right, and bottom.

When I superimpose all three discrete devices on top of one another and then add the beautiful silk pattern, it builds up a block with three headers that appears to be a single symbol, and on the board places three headers with the correct centroids.

It is a little annoying because you can after placing the design block move the three symbols or four footprints relative to one another, but I think overall this simplifies things and makes it more practical if you don't manufacture your own PCBs. I'd be thrilled if others can iterate on this to improve it, this is a new feature to me as of today so I may be missing some nice features (like locking the PCB footprints relative to one another). As is, it basically just is a pretty way to lay it out as if it were three separate headers.

I don't feel like dealing with github, but here's some dropbox links if anyone would like to see my methodology. Just right click on the .dbl file and tell it to add to the drawing. You can also put it in the eagle dbl folder, but I like to keep my custom parts in a separate directory so that they don't get lost when I upgrade Eagle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54xz6wldgg70h7z/0_teensy.d#1?dl=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back