Teensy 3.5+Mosfet+12vDC Air Pump /w Single Power Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

MODaly

I am trying to figure out if I can use a Teensy for a project I am working on where I switch a mosfet to control a 12vDC air pump. I would like to use a single power source, such as a 12vDC Barrel Plug/Jack (https://www.adafruit.com/product/798), but I am unsure of how I would connect the teensy to this power source, or if I am just looking at a problem waiting to happen.

Take Care,
Mike

Water Pump_bb.jpg
This is the sketch I made up for the project. Does that look like the right way to wire up the power converter? The switch and mosfet should be right, since I was able to follow some straightforward instructions on those, but not 100% positive on the 12v->5v side of things.

Any input would be apriciated!

Take Care,
Mike

The second pin in the top row (next to VIN) is AGND (analog ground) and should be left floating. Use the GND pin opposite VIN instead.

The center pin of the voltage regulator appears to be unconnected. It should be connected to GND.

Rest looks good to me.

I made the change to the ground wire, and shifted the capacitor and it's leads to the right. I also moved the diode before the motor onto the breadboard rather than mid-wire.
Water Pump_bb.jpg
Ultimately, this will be used to tell when the water level in my cats' fountain gets low(the switch represents a float switch that will be installed in the bowl) and then it will use an air pump(represented by the motor) to push air into a bottle which will push water out another tube and into the fountain.

It was mislabeled in my sketch program, it had them labeled Gnd, In, Out. I will be sure to check the datasheet on the voltage regulator that I buy.

Ultimately, this will be used to tell when the water level in my cats' fountain gets low(the switch represents a float switch that will be installed in the bowl) and then it will use an air pump(represented by the motor) to push air into a bottle which will push water out another tube and into the fountain.

Not as much fun, but you can do that without $60 worth of electronics... just a hanging bottle and a tube from the bottle to the fountain. Placed correctly, the water level between the two will automatically equalize. You can already buy this no-electronics product ready made, or make it yourself... here's a youtube video of something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx3ZJJ9zbQs

I actually considered something like this initially, but I am refilling a smaller dish (2"w x6"l x3"d), and it is a circulating fountain(using a submersible fish tank filter), leaving little space in/above the bowl for a larger reservoir. The design I am going for moves the reservoir to the space behind the dish, and I see future possibility of monitoring water intake. I hope to put together a complete instructable while I am doing it.

This is certainly a new look at how to do the gravity based water filler, and will keep it in mind if I ever need to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back