Analog To Midi (voice To Midi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdoor

Hi, I am a Teensy beginner.
I want to make Arduino example "Analog To Midi" using a Teensy.
Teensy (3.2 or 3.6) could expect higher quality.
I found some examples like guitar tuners, but it's a bit different from what I want.
Thank you for any hints or examples.
I have "Electret Microphone Amplifier - MAX4466"

Code:
  Analog to Midi Converter for Arduino MKR1000

Demonstrates how to sample an input signal and get back its corresponding MIDI note

This example code is in the public domain

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogToMidi

created by Arturo Guadalupi <a.guadalupi@arduino.cc>
  29 Jan 2016
*/

#include <AudioFrequencyMeter.h>
#include <MIDIUSB.h>
#include <frequencyToNote.h>
#include <pitchToNote.h>

#define DEPTH         60                      // Defines depth of the array for averaged frequencies
#define HUMAN_RATE    50                      // Defines 50ms corresponding to 20 notes/s
#define MAX_DURATION  1000                    // Defines the max play duration of the note

AudioFrequencyMeter meter;

int notesArray[DEPTH];                        // Array to store detected notes and find the "correct" note which occurred the most often
int occurrences[DEPTH];                       // Array in which the number of occurrences for each note are stored
bool marked[DEPTH];                           // Array to indicate which of the notes have been checked
int frequencyIndex = 0;                       // Used to navigate to where the current note must be stored

int previousNote;
unsigned int startTime;                       // Used to determine when the note must stop
unsigned int humanTime;                       // Used to determine when the next note can be sampled (using HUMAN_RATE timing)

int intensity = 64;                           // The volume of the played note is fixed at 64

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
  meter.setBandwidth(75.00, 600.00);          // Set available bandwidth between 75Hz and 600Hz
  meter.begin(A0, 45000);                     // Intialize A0 at sample rate of 45kHz
}

void loop() {
  float frequency = meter.getFrequency();

if (frequency > 0)
  {
    int noteIndex = searchForNote(frequency); // Find the index of the corresponding frequency
    int note = notePitch[noteIndex];          // Use that index to find the corresponding note in the LUT
    notesArray[frequencyIndex++] = note;      // Store the note and continue to next value in array

if (frequencyIndex > DEPTH)               // If all the notes have been stored
    {
      frequencyIndex = 0;                     // Reset the index
      int i, j;

/*Reset all the occurences and marked positions*/
      for (i = 0; i < DEPTH; i++)
      {
        occurrences[i] = 0;
        marked[i] = 0;
      }

/*Count the number of occurrences*/
      {
        for (j = 0; j < DEPTH; j++)
        {
          // If notes are the same and the note has not been marked yet
          if ((!marked[j]) && (notesArray[j] == notesArray[i]))
          {
            occurrences[i]++;                 // Increment the number of occurrences
            marked[j] = true;                 // Signal the note as marked
          }
        }
      }

int numberOfdifferentFrequencies = 0;   // Used to determine how many different Frequencies have been detected

{
        // If the counter does not equal zero
        if (occurrences[i] != 0)
        {
          // Store the the various detected Frequencies
          notesArray[numberOfdifferentFrequencies] = notesArray[i];
          // And the number of occurrences for each note
          occurrences[numberOfdifferentFrequencies] = occurrences[i];
          numberOfdifferentFrequencies++;      // Increment the number of detected Frequencies
        }
      }

/*Search for the maximum number of occurrences to discriminate the played note*/
      int maxNumberOfFrequencies = occurrences[0];
      int rightIndex = 0;

for (i = 0; i < numberOfdifferentFrequencies; i++);
      {
        // If a new maximum exist
        if (occurrences[i] > maxNumberOfFrequencies)
        {
          // Update the value
          maxNumberOfFrequencies = occurrences[i];
          // Update the index
          rightIndex = i;
        }
      }
      note = notesArray[rightIndex];          // Note to be played is that with the most occurrences
      // If the specified time has elapsed before the next note
      if (millis() - humanTime > HUMAN_RATE)
      {
        humanTime = millis();                 // Update the timer
        startTime = millis();                 // Update the note duration
        noteOff(0, previousNote, intensity);  // Stop playing the previous note
        previousNote = note;                  // Update previous note with the new one
        Serial.println(note);                 // Print the note to be played
        noteOn(0, note, intensity);           // Play the note!
      }
    }
  }

if (millis() - startTime > MAX_DURATION)    // If maximum time elapsed
    noteOff(0, previousNote, intensity);      // Turn the note off
}

int searchForNote(float frequency)
{
  float minimum = abs(frequency - noteFrequency[0]);
  float newMinimum;
  int index = 0;

/*Search for the nearest frequency that is in the vector*/
  for (int i = 0; i < NUMBER_OF_NOTES - 1; i++)
  {
    newMinimum = abs(frequency - noteFrequency[i]);
    if (newMinimum < minimum)
    {
      minimum = newMinimum;
      index = i;
    }
  }

return index;
}

void noteOn(byte channel, byte pitch, byte velocity) {
  midiEventPacket_t noteOn = {0x09, 0x90 | channel, pitch, velocity};
  MidiUSB.sendMIDI(noteOn);
}

void noteOff(byte channel, byte pitch, byte velocity) {
  midiEventPacket_t noteOff = {0x08, 0x80 | channel, pitch, velocity};
  MidiUSB.sendMIDI(noteOff);
}

hi,

the teensy audio library can do this with the Audio->Analyze->NoteFrequency object.
but this works only monophonic and detect the fundamental note frequency of an tone. for example your voice or an guitar note if only one string is played. it can not detect a chord.

so, if AudioFrequencyMeter from your example works polyphonic there is no real alternative object available in teensy audio library. maybe fft can do this, but to detect the correct fundamentals of a chord by using fft analyse you need a deep knowledge to compute this. as lower the frequency as more problems you become. also you need an good idea to compute the different envelop states in a chord. hard enough to design a fast envelope tracking for only one incoming voice or guitar string.

i use Collin Duffy s https://github.com/duff2013/AudioTuner from github, the newer version from Audio->Analyze->NoteFrequency, in an teensy based guitar synthesizer(monophonic). this works fine here. and it is possible to perform acceptable latency between plugged guitar string and synthesizer output. dependent to note frequency i get frequency values after 2 and 5 ms. higher notes compute faster. some intervals perform not fast. i do not know why. mostly octave intervals perform slow. but if you know the limitations you can play with them.

/g
wolke

Thank you for your reply.
I want to convert the voice (frequency about 130hz ~ 500hz) into monophonic note.
Example https://github.com/duff2013/AudioTuner or Audio-> Analyze-> NoteFrequency
I think this is the example I'm looking for. I'll try it right away.
By the way, I wonder coefficients what defined coeff.h and use in the AudioTuner example code mean.
If you know it, please answer it.
Thanks again.

Code:
tuner.begin (.15, fir_22059_HZ_coefficients, sizeof (fir_22059_HZ_coefficients), 2);

Last edited:
hi,

i use as default the existing "fir_22059_HZ_coefficients" defined in coeff.h, which works very well to detect frequencies from guitar.

Code:
int16_t fir_22059_HZ_coefficients[20] =
{
    0, 1, -6, -54, 18, 326,
    -14, -1178, -6, 5001, 8209, 5001,
    -6, -1178, -14, 326, 18, -54,
    -6, 1
};

important, to get frequencies faster from tuner, you need to adjust AUDIO_GUITARTUNER_BLOCKS in AudioTuner.h line 42.
default this is set to 24. i use 9 at this point. this is much faster. and audiotuner can properly detect
frequency down to ~80Hz. 24 allow much lower detection but increase the detection time a lot.
Code:
#define AUDIO_GUITARTUNER_BLOCKS  24
change to
Code:
#define AUDIO_GUITARTUNER_BLOCKS  9 //faster detection, but min detection freq ~80Hz

/g
wolke

ps:
here is my monophonic guitar synth which works well with collin duffy's tuner object.
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/4384...with-subtractive-synthesis?highlight=gitsynth

Thanks for reply.
I purchased teensy 3.2 and compiled the audio tuner code.
However, an error occurs.

"Arduino / libraries / AudioTuner-master / AudioTuner.cpp: 23: 35: fatal error: analyze_notefreq_fast.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated. "

Thank you for any hints
(NoteFrequency example works well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back